radio 3 mixing it - a tell all 'press release'

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: radio 3 mixing it - a tell all 'press release'
Apr 13, 2007, 10:41
As ever, that story isn't the whole picture.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 10:51
*If either is true, there's a strong case for putting it right - but that's nothing to do with giving people "what they want" rather than "what they need" or with "dumbing down". It is, though, a lot to do with giving licence fee-payers what they've paid for. *

I'm not sure I agree with this bloke. His arguments seem a bit off-kilter to me. The above quote, frinstance, is utterly contradictory if "what they've paid for" equates to Eastenders and reality TV...
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 11:09
I meant to write about this ages ago. I'm fucking appalled.

If Peel was still here I doubt he'd have long left on the radio.

Cunts.

x
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 12:42
Basically I think the crux is that if people want to see Dog Borstal On Ice then it should be there, but that shouldn't mean that the 50 part series Sartre And Political Theory should be pulled as a consequence.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 14, 2007, 19:10
Apr 13, 2007, 14:17
Big mistake for these blogging bbc fools to confuse what people actually "want" with what they actually watch or listen to from the range of choices available. All based on a reductive idea of normalcy. I've never met a normal or average person. That's Woolworths thinking.

They are not even letting the market decide. They are engaging in the social engineering beloved of those who see the world in market research and spread sheets.

The older I get the more I think I'd prefer to dump BBC tv onto the open market, though not radio*, and do everything by subscription - whether that's the NHL Play Offs, West Wing, Life On Mars, Mighty Boosh, Division 2 football or the Prog Rock Old Bores channel I'd like to pay for what I want to watch and be sure that the money I spend is going towards making more of the same kind of programming.

Just like buying albums direct from the artist and giving the finger to HMV.

*gotta keep the bbc share of radio in state hands for political reasons and when the revolution comes the rebels need to be able to take something over ....
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 14:43
Did you see last weeks episode of Sartre And Political Theory? I still think they should have voted Heidegger out, the way he kept going on about how Plato's fallacies resulted in two evolving but contradictory schools of thought, most readily observed during the Age of Reason as the division between British empiricism and Continental idealism, but traceable to every stage of Western thought, was completely out of order. And I do wish Kierkegaard would stop dropping his trousers at every opportunity.
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 16:03
I'd call them on it and send stuff to 'Late Junction' instead. Verity Sharp is pretty broadminded, we got played on that show so it's not impossible. Still, it isn't as varied a show as Mixing it was, I'm going to miss it.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 16:54
Cheers. I sent Verity the new CD's a few weeks back so just waiting on something may happen. Also sent them to Mark and Robert's new show on Resonance.

Love the new CD you sent btw - I've given it a few listens and really into it - top banana!

8)
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 16:56
No, I was busy watching the other side. A dog that shat on the ice was voted off the show by Vanessa Feltz and Dean Gaffney.
Leonard
Leonard
359 posts

Apr 13, 2007, 22:19
Thanks, will send you the finished versions once I've hooked up with Anna.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index