75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Edited Nov 28, 2010, 01:12
Re: Greatest Bands You Missed 8-(
Nov 28, 2010, 01:09
Uncool as it may sound, I would've loved to have seen the original lineup of Jethro Tull in 1968. Being only seven at the time, I was denied that joy, though to be honest I probably preferred Lego and Action Man (that's G.I Joe to our US readers). When I see those old Marquee ads, I'm beside myself with envy for people ever-so-slightly older than me, who saw the likes of Fairport, Traffic, The Groundhogs and Ten Years After at their peak. And that's from someone who DID see The Clash, supported by The Buzzcocks and Subway Sect, in early '77. It was a good night, but not as good as Ultravox! (with exclamation mark included) in January 1978. Now, there was a gig: quite the best I ever saw. Never let the sad 80's bastardisation of that bandname overshadow the fact that once it used to be a really marvellous - and original - band. Their first three albums are virtually faultless, the second absolutely so. But I digress.

For what it's worth, I also saw Joy Division supporting The Buzzcocks in 1979. Much as Ioved (and love) their contemporaneous first album, they were pretty kack live. Sacrilege it may be to say so, but I'm an honest man. The same year I saw Simple Minds support Magazine and guess what, they were shite: now there's a surprise. But they did go on to do some pretty good krautrock parodies with 'Reel To Real Cacophony' and 'Empires and Dance'. I would've liked to have seen them then, but I've not lost sleep over it.

Cutting to the quick, like most here I would have loved to have seen the Pistols in their prime. But how far do you take thoughts like that? I would've loved to have seen Hendrix, Syd's Floyd, The Beatles, The Small Faces and (pray silence) Eddie Cochran even more. And I bet Beethoven was pretty damn good before that deafness set in...
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index