Jun 23, 2005, 13:04
Unchallenging lazy pretentious wank

(IMHO)
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: Coldplay
Jun 23, 2005, 13:34
y'know, i heard coldplay in a shop a week or 2 ago + nearly posted a contentious idea to this site that dawned upon me then = they sounded for a minute remarkably like echo + bunnymen ... then i realised that stuff like coldplay are the real legacy of bands like the bunnymen, teardrop explodes + all that. I guess things like this site are cope's way of atoning for his sins - does this sound plausible to anyone else?
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 14:11
I remember a wee indie band called The Fieldmice back in days of anorak - they sounded just like Coldplay do now, but with a smaller budget. Everyone hated 'em. Wrong time wrong place I suppose (from their point of view) and a twee crappy name.
Not sure about 'em sounding like EATB though.
dru
124 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 16:53
I didn't hate them! The Field Mice that is. Defintely a case of wrong place,wrong time, NME-unfashionable. The name certainly didn't help. I remember when bands like Belle & Sebastian and the Delgados (well, B & S mainly) started getting very popular, thinking of the similarity with bands like the Field Mice and the Orchids. A Coldplay/Field Mice similarity hasn't crossed my mind, but I've not heard Coldplay beyond the obvious ones.
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 16:56
the field mice are actually considered brilliant in the indie pop world --

their legacy remains...hewn...into the living rock...of stone'enge.

coldplay are boring. but then, mediocrity sells. don't it.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 17:28
I love(d) the Field Mice - I can't stand Coldplay. I really can't see the similarity myself.

x
Lugia
970 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 17:34
I've heard bits of "X&Y", because it's the current inescapable shove-down-your-throat album on all the corporate outlets in the states 'round these parts.

It was a nice album.

When it was called "The Bends".

And when it was done by Radiohead.

In the mid 1990s.

Yes, that's a bit of hyperbole. But the fact is that for all the hype of "X&Y" being this groundshaking release that would reshape pop music and whatever else Coldplay and their handlers said about it, it's just another bland, inoffensive, safe piece of work that follows in long-cold footsteps already trod by others with more creativity and imagination years before. So I'm sure it'll sell MILLIONS of copies to people with no real taste who don't know better.
Noah Vale
Noah Vale
299 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 17:40
Much of Radiohead would still sound like Radiohead even without the vocals.
If you took Chris Martins voice off the record it would be near impossible to guess who it was cos it's so
'By the book production' Bland of all Blandness
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 17:51
Six years ago me and the missus went to see a Norwegian trio who we really loved called Tiny Too at the Bull & Gate. Below them on the bill were this really pitifullly ordinary band who had just released their first indie label single. The press were around them like flies and the singer at the time had a haircut like Tom Robinson.

Yep - it was Coldplay.

Here's the double whammy - most of the audience disappeared when Tiny Too came on - despite the fact they were blindingly superb. The bassist still works on the door of the B & G sometimes.

If any of you can get hold of Tiny Too's only album "Things That I Discover" please do so.

Just avoid their support band at the B & G all those years ago - if you can.....
Pages: 15 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index