Unsung Forum »
John Peel Dead

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
superboss
325 posts

Re: John Peel Dead
Oct 27, 2004, 08:37
what direction is yr music going in these days?

i live in leeds and help out with a club that has the best backroom in the business

recent gigs hgave included

lunaloop
kangaroo moon
kaya project
system seven
cosmosis
etc etc
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Oct 27, 2004, 08:48
as well as Dandelion Records, Augustus Pablo, ambient noise and, of course, the Good Captain.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Smiffy on Newsnight
Oct 27, 2004, 09:03
Did anyone see Mark Smith on Newsnight last night?
It was a strange encounter.

I think we lost a great man and a pillar of society in general. In this day of reality TV and the general media dumbing down in culture, Peel was an alternative voice and gave a honest balance to all the ego-driven drivel that exists in our radio and TV. There is no-one around in national radio at the moment who could replace him with the same sensibility.

I got a postcard from him 3 months ago, after sending him music. On it, he's written "Thanks for the CD's, I'll get round to listening to them at the weekend. I live in an avalanche of music"........and he played a track about 2 weeks later. I couldn't understand how he was able to cope with so many records and CD's arriving and getting through and replying to them all but he was truly musically obsessive.

It feels like I've lost an uncle this week even though I didn't know the man.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Oct 27, 2004, 09:14
...that's a nice tribute as well.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Smiffy on Newsnight
Oct 27, 2004, 10:44
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/tvseq/newsnight/newsnight.ram

Cliche I know, but I think he'd have appreciated this.

Eno was on Up All Night on R5 talking about him too. Somewhat more lucid.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Smiffy on Newsnight
Oct 27, 2004, 13:16
My postcard is being framed this afternoon- corny I know- but it'll be a reminder of great moments.
keith a
9576 posts

Oct 27, 2004, 13:36
Yeah. A really good piece I thought.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Oct 27, 2004, 13:57
....I've always had a lot of time for Morley and his book 'Nothing' is a nice read for anyone who has lost a parent.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Oct 27, 2004, 14:59
....We need more like this young chap - this message taken from the Peel messageboard.....

"Richard Harris
What a Great Man! Im only very young, 13 to be exact, but people would not of thought maybe I would of listened to him. I listened to his shows on the radio player, and the music he played really made me want to come back for more! He was obviously very in to what he did, and I'm sure his legacy would continue, spinning discs in Heaven. RIP"
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 27, 2004, 16:41
That's a great message. In every different experience, we've ALL been that young teenager delving into the Peel show.

I've just listened to the 'Newsbeat Special'....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/news/altnews/041026_john_peel.shtml

As snippets of 'Teenage Kicks' and 'Atmosphere' played in the background to tributes from various people, I found myself weeping again (this time sober)- only to absolutely crease up with laughter when there is a segment where Peel speaks of how lucky he is to have had a job like his, and then to comment on his personal appearance with:
"......how can you get recognised when you look like a mini-cab driver...."
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index