John Peel Dead

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IronMan
IronMan
601 posts

Re: John Peel Dead
Oct 26, 2004, 17:48
What absolutely awful news. I've only just found out. Gutted.
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 17:54
so, so sad. i'm gonna spend tonight with some friends, playing music to the memory of john. radio 1 also have all kind of tributes on. so hard to think we'll never get to tune into him again. new music on the radio will never be the same again.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 18:01
Terrible news- many bands owe their careers to him & my music collection would not be very eclectic without his presence...
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 18:03
that was airto moreira. yes, still making tunes. got 5th album ready to roll, though fuck knows who'll play 'em now peel's gone...
The Seth Man
1243 posts

John Peel Dead?!!!
Oct 26, 2004, 18:28
Oh, FUCK.

Although I've never heard him on Radio 1 (and now I never will) a good portion of my collection is all due to him, that good gentleman curator of sound -- one of the few I trusted unconditionally
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 18:51
I have a tape of a thirty minute portion of a 1980 Peel show, containing tracks by Swell Maps, Steely Dan, Clint Eastwood & General Saint, Hatfield and the North and The Monochrome Set. I must've just banged a cassette in when I went out.

Over a period of time every one of those records ended up in my collection.

I think that sort of sums the man up.

As Spike Milligan would've put it:

"What are we gonna do now?"
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

END OF AN ERA
Oct 26, 2004, 19:43
Excellent stuff Billy-

Been unable to function properly at all today, you've put into words what we all feel here.

It really is the end of an era.

"...I need excitement and I need it fast....."
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

plus.....
Oct 26, 2004, 19:50
Great words:

"The thing is that you get a lot of credit for putting these bands on the radio, but the fact is that it's like being the editor of a newspaper - you don't claim credit for the news. It's my job to listen to bands and listen for musicians from around the world and put them on the radio, and this is not something that I would wish to be applauded for really, because I'm just doing what I'm paid to do. They discover themselves, it's not up to me to discover them, bands discover themselves ......"
- John Peel (talking at One Live in Nottingham 29/10/02)
Rock Wagram
Rock Wagram
316 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 19:54
Shit....normally the deaths of the legends and stars dont bother me much...BUt hell! Not Peel! Im mean i've not even listend to him for ages.........But i owe him huge debts!
Shit
Fuck
Wank.
(what a poetic eulogie...........................)
konaman
konaman
533 posts

Oct 26, 2004, 20:52
I feel terribly sad.

Met him a couple of times, dj'd with him at Birmingham Uni, he said ' put a 'long version'on ( in the days before 12") so I can get changed', & then appeared in his wedding suit ( Liverpool colours) to do the gig. We cruised Griffin afterwards in his Range Rover , looking to gatecrash a party...we said ' we've got John Peel with us' He said, 'we've got Gram Parsons with us' ( he thought I bore a resemblance), but no one would let us in. He stayed the night in hall, & wrote a charming piece for the next week's Sounds about the various motorcycle parts that shared the room with him.

I used to record his festive 50 shows on my ghetto blaster on the back seat of my mum's Hillman Imp !

He summed up my adolescence, middle age, & my early 'grumpy old men'age.

RIP John, condolences to the family.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index