Sountracks to our lives 11 July 2004CE

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Why Erich Kleiber rocks
Jul 12, 2004, 23:17
Well, without going into full review mode (cos much as I'd like to, I just ain't got time at the mo), Erich Kleiber's 1949 recording of Beethoven's Fifth has an unsurpassed equality of fire, lyricism and poetry in equal measure with tempi and dynamics that seem to these ears just right. It's a devil of a symphony to conduct - too many maestros (including the much-heralded Kleiber junior - Carlos that is) whip through it as if it were 'eavy metal - and miss the heartfelt beauty that permeates virtually the entire work (and not just the slow movement). Keep the power in reserve and the burst of major-keyed daylight that is the final movement shines all the more gloriously.

Mind you, there are at least twenty other recordings of the work I simply couldn't do without, because like all great classical works Beethoven's 5th is far greater than it can ever be played. It's all just dots and squiggles until a great interpreter brings it to life. Erich Kleiber was one such dude. As were Furtwangler, Karajan, Klemperer, Giulini, Schuricht, Toscanini, Boult, Bernstein, Horenstein, Keilberth, Bohm, Jochum, Wand, Szell, Kubelik, Ancerl, Weingartner, Schmidt-Isserstedt and several others I'm too tired to think of.

The best conductors are either dead or nearly dead. Sad but true.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Sountracks to our lives 11 July 2004CE
Jul 13, 2004, 13:29
Not in the catpod doing this so might get some of it wrong but anyhoo...

Anyone - Anyone. Top alt/art-metal for want of a better phrase. Kind of in the Jane's Addiction/Tripping Daisy vein for people that like that sorta thing

Chimaira - The Impossibility Of Reason. Bridging the gap betwixt Nu and Old Metal i.e brutal chugging riffs n gruntin' with old skool solos etc. Heavy fun!

Orange Goblin - Thieving From The House Of God. Brit stoner/old skool Sabs/Motorheady tackle! Grrreat!

Tristram - Can't remember title! But very nice techno tinged psytrance and soundoids

The KLF - Chill Out. Divine brain lobe massage from long sought after chill/ambi classic. Was not disappointed.

Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power. Might not be their most overtly 'furry' album, but I reckon it could be their loveliest. Likes it loads.

Amused By Genitals - Bum Burps In EasyInternetcafe cause small riot

The Incredible STring Band - Something, Somethin Up something. Nice hippy, folky, rustic but at the same time sort of spacey brain hay.

Wishbone Ash - Here To Hear. Horribly titled 89 reunion of classic Ash line up. Ok n' all for 99p, but it's no Argus or even Just Testing. Horrid synths but some good Class Ash Guitar stuff.

Pentangle - Basket Of Light. Sexy folk-jazz joy joy.

OOps times nearly up. Ta ta earthlets.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Thunders
Jul 13, 2004, 13:43
It was depressing when I saw him play a month before he died. I don't think that junkie lifestyle is a way to live, and thus I agree w/ you Dog.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 13, 2004, 13:48
Yeah, I have the first Strawberry Alarm Clock album, although it has lots of filler but even the filler is cool! Too bad Ed King later joined Lynyrd Skynyrd(!)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jul 13, 2004, 15:31
..the stuff the strawberries did on 'Beyond the Valley of the Dolls' was pretty good but not as good as the mighty Carrie Nations....will have to find the soundtrack to this.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Passing Time with the SAC
Jul 13, 2004, 16:07
I love SAC -- Lawrence is right about their first album, even the instrumental filler is great! I use them as voice-over beds all the time.

Their music for the film "Psych-Out" is even better than their work for "BVD": "The World's On Fire" is a great lysergic jam and the theme tune titled "Pretty Song From Psych-Out" is the absolute distillation of "the spirit of 1967" in 3-minute pop single form. (Both these movies are good fun too.)

As for the "Carrie Nations" -- unfortunately the versions on the soundtrack I found were not quite the same versions as actually heard in the movie!! That was very disappointing, but maybe the "real originals" are out there somewhere too . . . might want to ask for a preview before you buy.

Too bad that (fake) group never recorded more than the 5 or so songs . . . I'd love to hear a whole album of that stuff. Look on up at the bottom!

Which is making me realize I really must get BVD on DVD.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: and not forgetting
Jul 13, 2004, 16:15
can't resist saying yeah! Spirit! Have you got the re-released CD of Spirit of 76? It's better than 12 Dream IMO, as is Future Games. Indeed, if any of their albums are ahead of their time it's Future Games - sampling before samplers!

Spirit - I love 'em!

Squid
From Somewhere Along the Time Coast
x
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: Passing Time with the SAC
Jul 13, 2004, 16:49
cheers....I'll approach the soundtrack with caution - probably best buying the DVD if it's available so the music is the same.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: Sountracks to our lives 11 July 2004
Jul 13, 2004, 16:50
Which Popol Vuh albums have you heard? I know "Einsjäger & Siebenjäger" ranks up there for a lot of fans, but only the second side of that album has ever really gelled for me; I couldn't even include it in my top five Popol Vuh LPs.
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Spirit S/T
Jul 13, 2004, 18:00
12 Dreams is the only one I own. Always fancied the first S/T one though.
BD
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index