Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Failure to deliver - Hype let downs.

79 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Failure to deliver - Hype let downs.
Jan 25, 2004, 01:13
Two 80s acts in particular...in both cases, we were led to believe that these were the SECOND COMING OF THE GRRRRRREATEST GODDAMN MUSIC EEEEVAAARRR!!!! But no...

1) World Party. The ramp-up here was that this was the coolest, trippiest, neo-psych thing evvvvvvverrrrr! So when we finally got that first WP disc over here, I was quite bummed at what a snoozefest of mainstreamonality it was. I pulled out some genuine certified psychedelia to A-B it, and it didn't even match up.

2) The Cult. OK...this was supposed to be IT! THE BAND which would bring rock decadence and heaviness to our sodden lives over here, filled with mystical portents and ominous signifyin' sorts of signifyin' and so on. In short, I and others were expecting B.O.C. x 1000. But what we got seemed more like a retreaded Billy Idol x .0001. Ian Astbury just seemed like another Mr. Mojo Risin retread (which, later, he in fact became) and the band sounded flabby and dull. Mainstream types ate it up, of course, but those of us who crave REAL! FRENZY! were left feeling a little flat.

Sputnik, tho....ahhhhh, Sputnik...no, the joke there was not on us, but on EMI. They sank MILLIONS into SSS, to only get a record which sounded like Suicide on nitrous oxide. Sure, they eventually turned on Mr. James et al, but quite a prank it was on corporate music, I thought.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index