Jan 21, 2004, 15:29
Calm down, have a fag...

Oops.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Re: Acceptable face of prog
Jan 21, 2004, 15:34
>Anyhow, must stop talking about Tull, am coming out in a rash. ;)

Aye, I'm coming out in a beard. Just gonna go n' stand on one leg while I have a fag!
Leon Bevan
120 posts

New Prog!!
Jan 21, 2004, 15:36
London band GUAPO

http://www.guapo.co.uk

They're fantastic!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: ooh bugger forgot the most important one
Jan 21, 2004, 19:01
The title track was cool. Wasn't it supposed to be a dissonant retake of an Old English song or something?
Beebon
1375 posts

Jan 21, 2004, 21:03
Well, King Crimson are cool, mostly anyways. Van Der Graaf Generator are very good, especially Pawn Hearts, God Bluff and Still Life.

I could probably still listen to most of Fragile by Yes....

Ummm I actually quite like some Mike oldfield stuff... i reckon Tubular Bells is pretty shite, but his second album, "Hergest Ridge" is actually rather good and i like Ommadawn as well...

All i can think of for now :)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 21, 2004, 22:01
That was my question over the last few years. It's got a nasty image of being either very pretentious, po-faced stuff or deliberately wacky.

I love the really alien sounding instrumental passages you get. Not very into deliberately broken grooves though I guess some people can get away with it.

Have just been wondering what there is out there after reading interviews with obscure 70s bands who say they liked bits of it.
Can't all be naff now can it?
Stevo
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Colosseum
Jan 22, 2004, 00:05
I've just got back from seeing Colosseum in concert. What a fucking night. If there are fifty-somethings anywhere in this world playing more imaginatively and energetically than that, I am Reg Varney.

The acceptable face of prog indeed. Check out 'For Those About To Die', 'Valentyne Suite' and 'Colosseum Live' for further enlightenment.

:-) a happy man
Leon Bevan
120 posts

Jan 22, 2004, 11:41
Just out of interest, was Tony Reeves on Bass Guitar?? What was the line-up??

There's another 70's Prog lot that has good bits: Greenslade!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Jan 22, 2004, 14:32
No, Tony Reeves Has not been involved in the post-1994 reformation as far as I'm aware. The lin-up last night was:

Jon Hiseman (of course) drums
Dave Greenslade - keyboards
Chris Farlowe - vocals
Mark Clark - bass
Clem Clempson - guitar; and
Barbara Thompson - saxes.

Barbara Thompson (i.e. Mrs Hiseman) is a (hopefully) temporary replacement for Dick Heckstall-Smith who is very ill at present.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 22, 2004, 17:57
I finally got Valentyne Suite before Xmas. It is pretty fine. I remember Fergal of the Whipping Boy
being a fan back in the mid 90s.

I want more stuff that hard.Its still pretty heavily blues based though, could do with something as hard but alien sounding.
Stevo
np NWW Thunder Perfect Mind Cold
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index