A Difference in Attitude

28 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: A Difference in Attitude
Apr 07, 2003, 14:29
Just put a big CARS = OIL = WAR banner in our window here. Feel oddly bad about it, as it's bound to hassle our neighbours... there they are, 7:45 on a cold Monday morning. Tired, pissed off, and not at all looking forward to the week's work ahead. Then, as they climb into the car, they notice their neighbour blaming them for dead Iraqis.

That's a real special way to start the day, huh?

But, the fact is, it's just a slogan (and we're going to alternate it with PLASTICS = OIL = WAR) and it's a message that i think should be communicated. Am kind of expecting a brick through the window at some point though......

Also been getting some rather abusive mail from people reading my blog. One email was so chock full of expletives that i'm certain the guy was inventing new swearwords by the end (anyone ever been called a "dumb funger" before?)

He was upset at my characterisation of the war as illegal and a clear act of imperialism.

I've not been out leafletting; so can't gauge the level of public apathy, but there's certainly plenty of abuse available for being anti-war online.

One thing that i have noticed (as an avid analyst of the media) is how the 24-hour news networks have begun to slowly return to normal scheduling. From two days before it began, to about 2 or 3 days ago; i'm fairly certain that the news media broadcast *nothing* but the war. No weather, no sports, no business. Just war. And adverts. I can't vouch for this obviously, but from dipping into it throughout the day, i'm willing to bet that i'm basically right.

Now, however, although there's still a huge emphasis on the war, we also have "And now, in non-war related news..." as well as weather and sports and business segments.

The newspapers are starting to do the same - although they were never as exclusively war-centred as the TV media. It's obvious that this would happen - the media can't report the same thing, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week indefinitely. The reason they can't is because the public is being made bored of the war. And boredom translates to apathy.

(maybe)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index