27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Aug 11, 2016, 09:08
Re: Labour party membership court case
Aug 11, 2016, 09:04
The NEC has 33 members. Balance of power is still pretty tight.
http://labourlist.org/2016/08/what-did-we-learn-from-the-nec-results/

They have very little chance of winning this appeal today, not too worried about it.

I've seen in a couple of places a theory put forward about Owen Smiths campaign and what it hopes to actually achieve (cos he has bugger all chance of actually winning). Which is to drag out the leadership competition for as long as possible increasing the splits and acrimony, which will hopefully tempt Theresa May into calling an early GE. This would then lead to a crushing defeat for Labour and thereby force Jeremy Corbyn to resign. A couple of months ago I'd have written off such a theory as quite hilarious bollocks, however the actions of the PLP in the last few months have already been hilarious bollocks so if this theory is true I wouldn't actually be that surprised.

A couple of problems with that strategy, if that's what they're doing..

Firstly Jeremy Corbyn would not resign, he has the mandate of the membership and he will not throw away their wishes to have him lead the party. I mean have they learned nothing ? Sure another Leadership campaign following a defeat would be a rough ride, but there would be one.

Secondly, Theresa May is not an idiot. What she grasps which the PLP obviously don't (judging by her talk left-ish PM acceptance speech) is that Corbyn would do a lot better in a GE than his detractors believe. I'm not saying the Labour party would win, but I'm pretty sure it would be far from a 'crushing' defeat.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index