27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 15, 2016, 07:58
Re: Labour party membership court case
Aug 14, 2016, 16:38
I could talk about this for hours (and do much to the annoyance of friends and family).

Watson's strategy seems to be to try and scare the full members into voting for Smith and to effectively split the membership. It wont get rid of Corbyn but it will, in some minds, put an extra question mark over his mandate. Hopefully he will run away with both constituencies and we can get on with the urgent task of deselecting the naysayers er .... I mean opposing the Tories.

There is a lot in this that makes me think the opposition on the Guardian, BBC and from the PLP is the snobbery of those who were university educated and never really got over it. JC has one year at a Poly under his belt and is up against people who, even if they started in the state system, in many cases went to the kind of universities whose USPs imply that you will get the chance to propel yourself into the ranks of the 1%. Not necessarily in economic terms but certainly in terms of where the political, religious, cultural and educational power in the land lies. The kind of 1% Tristram Hunt talked about.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tristram-hunt-tells-oxbridge-labour-students-that-the-top-1-per-cent-must-take-leadership-in-labour-a6717731.html
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index