Labour party membership court case

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Labour party membership court case
Aug 08, 2016, 12:59
I heard that the case was successful and the 5 people taking the Labour Party to court about membership rights to vote in the leadership election won.

Looks from the BBC News website taht the Party NEC are going to appeal against the ruling.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37009871

Wonder what is going to happen now?

Also there's been an NEC election that I think had its last votes cast by last Friday so wonder what the story there will be.

Stevo
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Re: Labour party membership court case
Aug 08, 2016, 15:35
Ironic that the Labour NEC will fund their appeal costs through the very membership fees they don't want to allow votes too!
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Aug 10, 2016, 23:23
Aug 10, 2016, 23:03
I think the NEC elections saw a number of left leaning candidates elected. One that I know of for sure is a guy called Steve Rotherham. He's Corbyn's press advisor or something.

Actually, a quick google search puts things rather more strongly...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37020815

Supporters of Jeremy Corbyn have swept the board in elections to Labour's ruling National Executive Committee.

All six places in the section voted for by constituency parties went to members of a pro-Corbyn group, giving the Labour leader a majority on the ruling body.

edit: actually, I'm getting mixed up. Steve Rotherham was selected as Labour candidate for Mayor of Liverpool, not the NEC. Still, you don't need a weather man to see which way the wind blows.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 11, 2016, 07:38
Not sure how large the NEC is beyond those 6 or when those 6 replace the previous members. But looks like that appeal against the ruling is real, I saw a petition to stop it online a few days ago.

Would hope they'd stop this mindlessness. Don't know what sway the new 6 have over proceedings.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Aug 11, 2016, 09:08
Aug 11, 2016, 09:04
The NEC has 33 members. Balance of power is still pretty tight.
http://labourlist.org/2016/08/what-did-we-learn-from-the-nec-results/

They have very little chance of winning this appeal today, not too worried about it.

I've seen in a couple of places a theory put forward about Owen Smiths campaign and what it hopes to actually achieve (cos he has bugger all chance of actually winning). Which is to drag out the leadership competition for as long as possible increasing the splits and acrimony, which will hopefully tempt Theresa May into calling an early GE. This would then lead to a crushing defeat for Labour and thereby force Jeremy Corbyn to resign. A couple of months ago I'd have written off such a theory as quite hilarious bollocks, however the actions of the PLP in the last few months have already been hilarious bollocks so if this theory is true I wouldn't actually be that surprised.

A couple of problems with that strategy, if that's what they're doing..

Firstly Jeremy Corbyn would not resign, he has the mandate of the membership and he will not throw away their wishes to have him lead the party. I mean have they learned nothing ? Sure another Leadership campaign following a defeat would be a rough ride, but there would be one.

Secondly, Theresa May is not an idiot. What she grasps which the PLP obviously don't (judging by her talk left-ish PM acceptance speech) is that Corbyn would do a lot better in a GE than his detractors believe. I'm not saying the Labour party would win, but I'm pretty sure it would be far from a 'crushing' defeat.
spencer
spencer
3069 posts

Aug 11, 2016, 10:44
Incumbent Lab MPs must now be aware that the Party's membership, now c500000, is the biggest of any in Europe..and that the composition is overwhelmingly pro Corbyn. This will doubtlessly now be reflected in the composition of the constituency selection committees for MPs. Not sure how secure Smith is in this respect. I'm also not sure if the constituency forthcoming boundary changes have been mentioned here...the number of constituencies, hence MP's, is being reduced from 650 to 600. Anyone know if there is a date when this is due to happen, or will it be activated by the calling of an election? Iirc it was thought that such a change would work in the Tories favour, so, if it was a date then May would be perhaps disinclined to call an election before this occurred. Whatever, the Labour candidates may well differ considerably from those currently sitting at Westminster. Inexorable 'death squirms' for both the current makeup of both the NEC and Lab in the Commons? Hope so. I want to vote Labour again, and yes, doubt that a snap election will be a walkover for the Tories, whatever the mass media says or tries to manipulate.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Aug 11, 2016, 11:47
Aug 11, 2016, 11:46
spencer wrote:
I want to vote Labour again, and yes, doubt that a snap election will be a walkover for the Tories, whatever the mass media says or tries to manipulate.

Exactly, May will only call one if she can guarantee to increase the Tory majority and even then she's only getting to add one year to the term they have.

Boundary changes, re-selection etc doesn't/can't really kick in until the General Election is called, *I think* Is it possible/sensible to select MPs to stand in constituencies that don't exist yet ? That's not rhetorical, I can think of ways of doing it.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 11, 2016, 12:01
Ah..
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/08/labour-mps-are-likely-be-deselected-even-without-rule-changes
spencer
spencer
3069 posts

Aug 11, 2016, 12:25
One wonders what further depths the meeja will go to before a GE, whenever called....did you know Corbyn's cat's name? El Gatto!!! Shades of Che Guevara. Bloody pinko Commie. String up the pair of them, I say! ; )
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 12, 2016, 16:51
Appeal was successful on some apparently small print clause.
So now appeal may happen on the appeal.

Wonder if people will further crowd fund it?

&would that be the same people whose funds the NEC were using for their court funding?
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index