Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Today, war is abstract. We are fighting ideas.

14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: Today, war is abstract. We are fighting ideas.
Dec 10, 2015, 15:28
I get you Carol, and in a way that can only come across as a cliché, I do look at my daughter and think 'what sort of world is she growing up in?'
I also know that as a mum, I care about here more than anyone on the planet.
In extending that really natural selfishness (dogs cats chimps humans, your own offspring is the most important) I thought about all the horrors of all these regimes and soon realised 'we can not change that' and maybe we shouldn't bother trying.
We do need careful border arrangements and yes, I do believe in all those reports of foiled terrorism plots but while that's been taken care of we need to take care of causes as well.
I also believe we should help refugees when we can, but we are seeing the craziest of cyclical events where we bomb countries people flee we take them in then bomb etc etc.
Now to causes, perhaps.
I do recall at least one Afghan who was trained up to work in some newly created 'Afghan security force' and soon enough turned his gun on an American soldier who was 'training' him.
And as much as we think of America being out of Afghanistan they aren't, CIA are training some other lot to this day.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/04/world/asia/afghanistan-civilian-casualty-khost.html?_r=0
When the Soviets were in Afghanistan Regan helped arm what would later become the Taliban, lost interest once the Soviets got a bloody nose and look what happened next.
Even if Dave's 70,000 'new model army' was a reality, who's to say what we are unleashing?
I can't see how not wanting to be part of the bombing is doing nothing, as far as I can see it is the most active thing we can do.
Setting civilian deaths aside, we are not making ourselves safer in the least.

U-Know! Forum Index