19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Re: House of Lords
Oct 26, 2015, 11:02
spencer wrote:

Hereditary element or not, the HoL is a valuable potential check on government excess. There are some wise and compasionate heads there. While the Cons may not retaliate by a flood of partisan appointments - I don't doubt they want to - they've unfortunately got five years to alter its makeup with a steady trickle.

Soon as they appoint even 'one' new peer if the Lords are in any way successful the scrutiny will be huge because they will come with the immediate label of 'one of those tax credits appointments' as will then next and then the next.
Usually we pay not much heed to that sort of thing, we have now. More so that certainly I can remember.
And there is also the long standing gripe from all quarters that the HOL is too big anyway (around 800 of them I think).
Actually I am surprised at the lack of voices from women's groups re tax credits, as it was a long standing argument that for some women in not so happy circumstances that little bit extra a week gives them a little bit of financial independence.
A nice little thing to get through the post with your Xmas cards though, that your family is about to lose over a thousand pounds a year.

U-Know! Forum Index