6 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Kanye West for President!
Sep 01, 2015, 22:45
billding68 wrote:
Kanye has as much chance as Trump does....None!
Both are idiots Trumps is a dangerous racist Idiot Kanye is well...you know...

Trump is fascinating, he really is. And look; I'm not saying he's going to be America's next president, OK? I think he's a legitimate, interesting subject for discussion as a cultural phenomenon, even though he's unlikely to be elected president.

And what's so interesting? Well, the fact that he's saying things that would destroy most politicians... and he's saying them constantly (this isn't a one-off gaffe we're talking about)... and yet his numbers keep rising in the polls (and that's both presidential and Republican primary). His snide attack on that Fox News reporter ("she's bleeding from wherever"... really, Donald?! That's your response?) is almost the definition of unpresidential.

And yet the Trump train keeps on rolling; every poll showing him beating the rest of the party. Every time he says something that makes you think "Wow! That's going to torpedo him", you read the next day that it generated a surge in Republican support.

Of course the bubble is bound to burst at some point... but even bleeding-heart, politically correct US liberals like The Young Turks (on YouTube) now believe Trump is the favourite to secure the Republican nomination (they were literally treating him as a joke up until very recently... pixellating his photo and occasionally wearing silly hats when discussing him).

The trouble is... even when the bubble bursts, Trump has now had a huge part in defining both the subject matter and the tone of the Republican policy debate. He has been setting the agenda up until now, and even when he's out of the race, that's not going to change overnight.

Like Trump, Kanye West is a deeply delusional man. The difference is that I don't see him picking up the same sort of traction with US democrats as Trump has with the republicans. But I would have said the same about Trump 6 months ago... so who the hell knows?

U-Know! Forum Index