Kanye West for President!

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Sep 01, 2015, 11:04
Kanye West for President!
Sep 01, 2015, 11:01
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34106298

If nothing else, I'd love to see him go head to head with Trump on a live TV debate.
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Re: Kanye West for President!
Sep 01, 2015, 22:06
Popel Vooje wrote:

If nothing else, I'd love to see him go head to head with Trump on a live TV debate.

Kanye has as much chance as Trump does....None!
Both are idiots Trumps is a dangerous racist Idiot Kanye is well...you know...
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Sep 01, 2015, 22:45
billding68 wrote:
Kanye has as much chance as Trump does....None!
Both are idiots Trumps is a dangerous racist Idiot Kanye is well...you know...

Trump is fascinating, he really is. And look; I'm not saying he's going to be America's next president, OK? I think he's a legitimate, interesting subject for discussion as a cultural phenomenon, even though he's unlikely to be elected president.

And what's so interesting? Well, the fact that he's saying things that would destroy most politicians... and he's saying them constantly (this isn't a one-off gaffe we're talking about)... and yet his numbers keep rising in the polls (and that's both presidential and Republican primary). His snide attack on that Fox News reporter ("she's bleeding from wherever"... really, Donald?! That's your response?) is almost the definition of unpresidential.

And yet the Trump train keeps on rolling; every poll showing him beating the rest of the party. Every time he says something that makes you think "Wow! That's going to torpedo him", you read the next day that it generated a surge in Republican support.

Of course the bubble is bound to burst at some point... but even bleeding-heart, politically correct US liberals like The Young Turks (on YouTube) now believe Trump is the favourite to secure the Republican nomination (they were literally treating him as a joke up until very recently... pixellating his photo and occasionally wearing silly hats when discussing him).

The trouble is... even when the bubble bursts, Trump has now had a huge part in defining both the subject matter and the tone of the Republican policy debate. He has been setting the agenda up until now, and even when he's out of the race, that's not going to change overnight.

Like Trump, Kanye West is a deeply delusional man. The difference is that I don't see him picking up the same sort of traction with US democrats as Trump has with the republicans. But I would have said the same about Trump 6 months ago... so who the hell knows?
billding68
billding68
1016 posts

Sep 02, 2015, 01:06
Trump is not interesting nor thought provoking he is merely using issues which are hot buttons with many to his advantage. the problem is he is not being truthful or realistic on the issues. Did you know 40% of illegal residents in the U.S. came here from overseas on visas and simply chose not to go back to wherever they are from once their visas expired? So with Trumps logic in addition to building a wall that would cost Billions to create and many millions each year to secure we need to stop all foreign visitors from entering via all the airports in the country as many of them may not leave when they are supposed to.Ask him where the money for the transport of 11million Illegal residents will come from and his response is ...I have a plan...Sure thing Donald I'm voting for the guy with the "I have a plan but I'm not telling you" platform. Immigration is a tiny expense in the U.S. compared to the Billions we spend every few years on foreign aide to our enemies, why do we give China aide when we are in debt to them for BILLIONS? that makes no sense. Trump is the Whoopi Goldberg of the republican party, Self righteous, elitist,Racist and both have horrible hair. if anything Trump is helping Clinton by taking some of the heat off her..maybe that's the plan?
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Sep 02, 2015, 12:24
Sep 02, 2015, 12:24
I'm well aware of the absurdity of Trump's position. I'm well aware he makes no sense.

That's precisely why I find him interesting as a cultural phenomenon. He is to America what Nigel Farage is to the UK. A lot of countries have someone like them... but America's global cultural dominance means Trump's antics are seen and discussed around the world. Politics is often a stage for fools to spout gibberish. America just has the biggest stage and loudest PA system at this moment in history.

I find Trump fascinating because he increases his lead every time he says something that makes no sense; something absurdly racist, offensive or xenophobic. That's very revealing when it comes to his supporters, and (for me) it says something very interesting about the state of US culture.

Just as UKIP's popularity reveals the xenophobic element of British culture*, so Trump is revealing an element of US culture that we already knew was there (it's there in almost every society) but hasn't really been a major part of mainstream politics for the past few decades.

I think Trump is having a dangerously corrosive effect on US politics right now. And I fear he will leave an ideological scar on the body politic as a whole, even after he eventually bombs out of the race.

And I find that interesting. If you don't that's fine... you don't need to discuss him. I'm not demanding you find him interesting. I'm saying that I do.

------------------------
* For those who claim Farage's objection to immigration is based on the economic / infrastructure argument; please tell me why - when asked about Irish immigrants - he insisted they were OK, because they "are our kith and kin". This is a clear admission that his problem lies with the ancestry of certain immigrant groups, and not their economic impact.
ron
ron
706 posts

Sep 05, 2015, 01:59
Popel Vooje wrote:

i'd pay a thousand quid for a shitty seat to see him go 1 round with Floyd Mayweather
x
x
x
U-Know! Forum Index