Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
Something to think about next time ISIS worries you...

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Something to think about next time ISIS worries you...
Jul 05, 2015, 22:45
Allah Akbar!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 05, 2015, 22:46
Allah Akbar!
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jul 06, 2015, 01:29
I didn't say or imply anything of the sort. Please read posts properly!
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jul 06, 2015, 14:30
Captain Starlet wrote:
Atrocity propaganda has always been used to demonise others, WW1 being a prime example, with tales of German soldiers raping nuns and bayonetting babies. However unlikely those tales were it certainly stirred the emotions of those who read about them and created a fervour for war. The sad part of this is 100 years later people haven't realised they're being duped!

Just to let you know....
Aurthur Rubenstien, one of the greatest pianists we ever had, wrote in biography {My Young Years} about this very thing. Only not as you see it.
He eneded up stranded in Paris throughout ww1 as a Polish jew with nothing to support himself with...
It was through his manager{emprasario?} Mr Gabriel Astruc that he found a way to survive the war. Aurthur was fluent in several European languages including German. It was through his interprative abilities he found a way to help out and survive. He interprepreted letters that were intercepted or taken from German convoys and soldiers as they rolled through Belgium on there way to France. He personally stated that the letters he interpreted unequivocally supported the claims that you refute as propoganda. The Rapes and massacres and butcherings. The German soldiers had the audacity to 'Write Home' about this stuff.
Aurthur made a vow to never play in Germany then and there, and never did again. Interesting too....he was professionally trained in Berlin as a boy for a virtuoso career by one Proffesor Barth.
Anyhow....First hand witness from when it was actually happening.
That Kaiser needed stopping.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jul 06, 2015, 14:48
"It is true that many of the more sensational stories of German “outrages” perpetrated in Belgium during the course of the invasion and ensuing occupation are very hard to believe, much less corroborate. German soldiers eating Belgian babies; German soldiers hanging Belgian nuns between church bells and ringing them to death; German soldiers crucifying dozens of farmers by the roadside; and so on — these are stories that are familiar to us through the fact of them having now become standard examples of why “propaganda” is not to be trusted."

http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/memoryofwar/the-rape-of-belgium-revisited/

As there's no corroboration with any of the more sensational propaganda stories I'd tend to be wary of what Rubinstein suggests. If he was there then he'd be in an ideal position to fuel the anti-German fervour and the need to go to war. Backtracking on that later (in his bio) could have lead to a number of very costly lawsuits.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jul 06, 2015, 14:59
Captain Starlet wrote:
"It is true that many of the more sensational stories of German “outrages” perpetrated in Belgium during the course of the invasion and ensuing occupation are very hard to believe, much less corroborate. German soldiers eating Belgian babies; German soldiers hanging Belgian nuns between church bells and ringing them to death; German soldiers crucifying dozens of farmers by the roadside; and so on — these are stories that are familiar to us through the fact of them having now become standard examples of why “propaganda” is not to be trusted."

http://ww1centenary.oucs.ox.ac.uk/memoryofwar/the-rape-of-belgium-revisited/

As there's no corroboration with any of the more sensational propaganda stories I'd tend to be wary of what Rubinstein suggests. If he was there then he'd be in an ideal position to fuel the anti-German fervour and the need to go to war. Backtracking on that later (in his bio) could have lead to a number of very costly lawsuits.

I just read through your link.
Did you?
It does NOTHING to refute Mr. Rubenstien's memoirs.
Aurthur had no agenda in the war. He was a pacifist.
He was a very well travelled young man in those times too.
He loved life unconditionally. I will personally stand with his accounts amongst others.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Jul 06, 2015, 15:09
Yes I did actually. There's nothing to support his claims either, so that makes them just that. His claims based on a time where fervour was rapidly building to wage war on Germany. I'm sure he wasn't the only person to do this either, however adds no proof that any of the things actually happened. As an academic I have to go with the evidence of what's in front of me, sadly Rubinstein offers no alternative to that, but believe what you want.
dhajjieboy
913 posts

Jul 06, 2015, 15:33
Captain Starlet wrote:
Yes I did actually. There's nothing to support his claims either, so that makes them just that. His claims based on a time where fervour was rapidly building to wage war on Germany. I'm sure he wasn't the only person to do this either, however adds no proof that any of the things actually happened. As an academic I have to go with the evidence of what's in front of me, sadly Rubinstein offers no alternative to that, but believe what you want.

This will be the last i have to say on this particular matter....
You seem to intent to build a wall based on obfuscation rather than fact.
Rather odd for a man who claims Academic status as a impenetrable qualifier.
And yes... i will Believe as i choose. Based on a life of well chosen avenues and true academic and scholarly companionship.
Aurthur's 'Claims' [as you say}, were from a continental european who lived and was ruined twice through 2 world wars. First Hand accounts.
Not some link from a guy posting an argument in the year 2015.
The Germans had 2 world wars to cover up any atrocities they commited in ther wakes. The overtook Paris in ww2 and actually ransacked Aurthurs home there. Took EVERYTHING he had too.
I would bet those letters that Aurthur saw and interpreted in ww1 in Paris would not have had much of a chance to see the modern era.
The Germans took EVERYTHING...when they went through.
Back to your post:

Alan Kramer and John Horne, in their magisterial volume on this subject (German Atrocities, 1914: A History of Denial; 2001), have painstakingly reconstructed the reality behind the propaganda in a way that should leave no reader in doubt. Through years of careful archival research they have reached the conclusion that there was indeed a systematic program of civilian executions — sometimes en masse — conducted in Belgium, by the German army, with the purpose of breaking the spirit of resistance and striking terror into the heart of the population. The anniversaries of the worst of these catastrophes are upon us; on August 23rd, 1914 — ninety-nine years ago tomorrow — the German army took revenge upon the Belgian city of Dinant for what it falsely believed to be the actions of Belgian francs-tireurs (“free-shooters”, or non-military partisans). This revenge took the form of the burning of over a 1,000 buildings and the execution of some 674 civilians. The oldest among them was in his 90s; the youngest was barely a month old. These civilians were killed in a variety of ways. Some were bayoneted, others burned alive; most were bound, put up against walls, and then executed by a volley of rifle fire — all in reprisal for something that had not actually happened. Two days later (August 25th), the same spirit of reprisal played out again elsewhere — in

?????
From your own link.
As you do not even know what Aurthur Rubenstien had to say in his Autobiography...lets just say, your link offers substantial confirmation.
You have quite a way of disproving your own 'Beliefs'.
Lawrence
9547 posts

dhajjieboy.... by dhajjieboy
Jul 06, 2015, 15:38
I respect your right to be an odious form of life.....i do, but leave me out of your hate filled and racist diatribes. You clearly have not left behind your former nazi/satanic ideologies.
Thank you. I respect your right to be an odious form of life.....i do, but leave me out of your hate filled and racist diatribes. You clearly have not left behind your former nazi/satanic ideologies.
Thank you. I respect your right to be an odious form of life.....i do, but leave me out of your hate filled and racist diatribes. You clearly have not left behind your former nazi/satanic ideologies.
Thank you.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jul 06, 2015, 15:39
I respect your right to be an odious form of life.....i do, but leave me out of your hate filled and racist diatribes. You clearly have not left behind your former nazi/satanic ideologies.
Thank you.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index