U-Know! Forum »
Wee boys and explosives

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Wee boys and explosives
Nov 05, 2002, 21:34
I wonder if fireworks are a good defence against CIA missile drones ?
Anyone got anything to say the blast in the Yemen ?
marr
marr
61 posts

Re: Yep, southern comfort
Nov 06, 2002, 10:33
Sharon is obviously a role model for young Bushwacka.

And now suck on this, boys & girls:

<<WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Republicans have seized control of the U.S. Congress, reclaiming power in the Senate and expanding their majority in the House of Representatives in a historic sweep for Republican President George W. Bush.

The sweep gives Bush new stature to wage a military campaign against Iraq and push his agenda through Congress, including initiatives on taxes, a new Homeland Security Department and federal judicial nominees.>>

In case you can't speak Bush English, the message is "we can now really do whatever the hell we like, and we know it too". Like a sprinkling of Condoleeza sugar over Grufty's Monbiot piece here somewhere.

Anyway, Yemen? Where the hell is that? A buncha Ayrabs? With tea-towels for headgear? What, and no oil even? Just kill 'em, it'll wash down when it rains.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Wee boys and explosives
Nov 06, 2002, 11:11
> The United States has said it still opposes
> Israel's policy of targeted assassinations,
> despite its apparent use of the same tactic
> to kill six al-Qaeda suspects in Yemen on
> Sunday.
>
> "Our policy on targeted killings in the
> Israeli-Palestinian context has not
> changed," US State Department spokesman
> Richard Boucher said.
>
"It's only our policy on targeted killings in the
United States-Everyone Else context that has
changed", he is alleged to have added under his
breath.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2408031.stm
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Re: Yep, southern comfort
Nov 06, 2002, 12:15
"a new Homeland Security Department "

I suppose they could have found a more sinister sounding name, but not much. A descendant of the Un-American Affairs Committee (if I've remembered that right).
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Be afraid. Be very afraid...
Nov 06, 2002, 13:00
This paragraph from a Washington Post article on the GOPs election victories should give any right-thinking person the screaming heebies...
>
> Suddenly, items that had been bottled up in the
> Democratic Senate have new life. President
> Bush has new hopes for action on his
> conservative slate of judges, his energy plan
> calling for drilling in Alaska's wildlife refuge,
> and the policies he favors on topics such as
> homeland security, terrorism insurance and
> prescription drug coverage. With Democrats
> losing their ability to set the Senate schedule
> and launch probes of the administration,
> chances improve for Bush's hopes to extend
> last year's tax cuts, curtail jury awards, cut
> business regulations and overhaul Medicare.
>
These elections in the US (with the exception of the gubernatorial races - which i accept are primarily about local issues) are basically an endorsement of Dubya's policies. If the US public did not like the way this man was pushing their nation, they could have returned a Democratic majority in both houses as - at the very least - a symbol of their discontent.

As it is, the results of the elections are a clear indication that Dubya's agenda is popular enough to warrant accelerating.

Critics would argue that the low turn-out contradicts that assessment. Usually i'd agree... but in this case i'm not so sure. After the farce of Florida 2000 - when a couple of spoilt ballots in one state put Dubya's oily war machine into the White House despite polling half a million fewer votes nationwide - it was clear that Bush Jr.'s mandate rested on a knife-edge. The US media could not have hyped these elections much more than they did (albeit with a general pro-Dubya slant... according to someone i know who works in a US media conglomerate). The majority of Americans were aware that it'd only take a handful of "won't voters" to change their minds and vote Democrat in order to throw a spanner in the works for Bush.

That said, i've abstained from almost every election i've been eligible to vote in because i felt none of the candidates adequately represented my views. A person in Oregon who genuinely opposes Dubya has little incentive for voting in a Democrat Senator given the shocking acquiesence of the Democratic Party during the past 2 years. So it's hard to really criticise them...

All the same; re-read that Washington Post paragraph... the segment of the US public who expressed an opinion... expressed that one.
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Nov 06, 2002, 16:09
Legality seems to have been replaced by a Playstation shoot'em up mentality.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Nov 06, 2002, 16:20
Talking of Palestine. Two things I read today that made me laugh out loud:

'As they're fans of the Old Testament, they must wonder why the writers of the Bible didn't take a similar approach. So the story of David and Goliath would end with Goliath treading on every settlement in Judah, justified by a spokesman saying "Let me show you the young Philistine mother hit by a stone thrown by Mr David. And if the Lord wants us to withdraw our giants, why doesn't he condemn the use of slings and pebbles?"'

'So they should let truly passionate believers do Thought For the Day, then it would be entertaining whether you agreed or not, just as Bob Marley and Aretha Franklin and the Blind Boys of Alabama are fantastic and Cliff Richard, well you know that bit by now. Maybe there could be an Islamic Fundamentalist Thought For the Day, that went: "Like many parents at this time of year, you may be wondering what on Earth to do with your bored 12-year-olds as they mope around the house through the seemingly endless summer holidays. So one tip you may consider, why not strap them to a bar of gelignite and send them into a crowded marketplace?" '

Both Mark Steel.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Be afraid. Be very afraid...
Nov 07, 2002, 10:56
see also:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,835029,00.html

in today's Guardian. I've begun to get paranoid
that maybe Guardian journos are reading my
mail... Hugo Young's article bears a shocking
similarity to an email rant i sent to an American
friend of mine.

Spooky.

;-)
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

Camera shy
Nov 07, 2002, 11:03
http://hacktivismo.com/news/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=12/

will help secure your emails if you are bothered, it buries data in pictures .

http://www.camera-shy.co.uk/index2.html
I found by mistake, they sell number plates that are invisible to speed cameras. Bad clever people.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Camera shy
Nov 07, 2002, 11:18
No worries, i'm a bit of a PGP evangelist as it happens. ( download PGP from http://www.pgpi.com ). Unfortunately trying to get people to adopt it, and then use it routinely, is like extracting teeth (even though there's user-friendly plug-ins for almost all email programs now).

However, if anyone here does use PGP, feel free to add my public key to your keyring...

email addy: [email protected]
pgp keyring file:
http://www.tengai.co.uk/jim/docs/jim_pgp.asc

groove on.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index