Bragg on Brand

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Brand
Nov 09, 2014, 20:34
The very undereported million masks march was the other night..guess who lifted his to go 'look its meeee!' at the cameras: Our Russ. As I said earlier, am dubious about him as he gets so much airtime on the beeb, more than ever a govt organ, imo. As for the US food handout incident, words fail.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 09, 2014, 21:23
That really annoyed me about the march. There was a headline in The Independent kudos to brand and the marchers, like he actually had anything to do with it!
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Nov 09, 2014, 21:43
Yup. Chuffing carpetbagger.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2014, 08:20
Re: Park Life! 90yr old arrested ...
Nov 09, 2014, 22:41
Captain Starlet wrote:
Very true, I read the story on the news when it came out. Certainly does highlight that there's something seriously wrong with the world. But did you really need brand to tell you that?

To be completely honest - yes I did. There is so very much wrong with our so called civilized society I think a lot of the time we edit things out or glance quickly at fast moving links on the internet and move on. OK, he's a hypocrite - perhaps he steps over homeless people when he's out and about, I have no way of knowing. I was just saying I liked what he said and I liked the way he said it.

Edited 10/11/14
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Nov 10, 2014, 08:14
tjj wrote:
Captain Starlet wrote:
Very true, I read the story on the news when it came out. Certainly does highlight that there's something seriously wrong with the world. But did you really need brand to tell you that?

To be completely honest - yes I did. There is so very much wrong with so called civilized society I think a lot of the time we edit things out or glance quickly at fast moving links on the internet and move on. Russell Brand spent 8 minutes talking about Christian values (no, I'm not suddenly going to get religion). How many people do that these days when Christian values equates with middle-England conservatism for most of us. According to Russell Brand they mean caring for each other, looking after each other, feeding the hungry. OK, he's a hypocrite - perhaps he steps over homeless people when he's out and about, I have no way of knowing. I was just saying I liked what he said and I liked the way he said it.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he donated a lot of money to good causes eg. Amnesty. PETA, Hillsborough, and intends to do more re. homelessness etc:

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/oct/11/russell-brand-revolution-alienation-despair

Of course he'll be accused of doing it cynically for publicity. Damned if you, damned if you don't etc.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 10, 2014, 10:36
Maybe I'm cynical but yes! Charity's always a good tax dodge, and brand's pretty familiar with those.

What I wasn't surprised at that he didn't already contribute to those charities.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Nov 10, 2014, 10:50
If it's just a tax dodge, it's still beneficial to the charities concerned and screws the tax man. I have no problem with that. I'd do it if I was mega rich. I honestly think he's generally ok and coming from the right place with his intentions. I'd rather that, with accusations of hypocrisy etc than the blatant greed heads that do zippity fuck in their mansions.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 10, 2014, 11:43
Well sadly the money not going to the tax man means less money going into things like the NHS and education, two things I support vehemently. So if he's doing it as a tax dodge he's taking from the poor, sick, disabled and the future education of children in this country just so he can look good. Also if his heart was in the right place he wouldn't be reliant on the fanfare. If you look most of the millionaires in their mansions give a lot for charity, also have charitable trusts.

Tax dodges maybe, but if you look at brand's logic then all tickety boo!
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Nov 10, 2014, 11:50
Nov 10, 2014, 11:48
Ahem! When I pointed out the example of Leonardo Di Caprio, you were dead against him! He does a lot of good work for the environment. Top bloke. Brand still pays tax to the Government. They have more than enough to sort things, but do they ? THEY are the villains here.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
1110 posts

Nov 10, 2014, 11:55
Is Leonardo a tax dodger?
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index