Fantasy Political Funeral

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Re: Fantasy Political Funeral
May 06, 2013, 21:33
Just as a parting shot and to apply some context to my posts ...I appreciate you dont agree with me, but I am a 53 year old working class man, who well remembers 1979...and voted in 1979.

Is there a moderator who can delete my userid please - I may well be thick..but I can't see an easy way to do this..
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

May 06, 2013, 21:35
"Keep calm and rise above"?
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited May 07, 2013, 01:46
May 07, 2013, 01:22
geoffrey_prime wrote:
You bring out the worse in me...but rest assured, there will be no further political comment from "geoffrey_prime".

No. You bring out the worst in you. It's you. You do it. You choose to do it. Stop blaming other people.

You want to talk, chat, debate etc? Cool, go for it.

Stop making a poke in the ribs the first port-of-call.

You want nice? Then be nice.

But all of this...the reactions...are down to you. It's your choice. You have made geoffrey_prime. It's your construct. It's your choice.
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 07, 2013, 02:49
I'm pretty sure anybody who voted for Thatcher in '79 regretted it later, except for a sheeple like you of course...

And I suppose you thought it was really great how Thatcher adopted the National Front immigration platform as her own, huh?
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

May 07, 2013, 12:23
geoffrey_prime wrote:
To all you guys..the "majority" I refer to were the folks, on the street, at the funeral, paying their repsects. Yes, there were people against Thatcher and the Tories, but clearly, the majority were supporters.

geoffrey, you suggested that the public funding of the funeral had a genuine democratic mandate. But this appears to be based on nothing more than "the number of people I saw on the telly". Even you must accept that's a pretty weak basis to be making statements about what "the majority" wanted.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited May 07, 2013, 12:53
May 07, 2013, 12:47
The point is though Lawrence he has no recollection, and probably didn't even see at the time, the actual manifesto they stood on. He's great for the sweeping statements, like 'there was no other option', and crap when you pick him up on specifics. Like, no other option to what ? What was in the manifesto ? It sure as hell did not mention the destruction of our manufacturing industry, mining, or the massive privatisation that was to follow. Privatisation that we are still subsiding to the tune of billions of pounds every year.

It did mention Council Houses being sold, and it did mention new anti Trade Union laws though. But this is a quote worth remembering from it "We believe that a competitive and efficient coal industry has an important role in meeting energy demand, together with a proper contribution from nuclear power. All energy developments raise important environmental issues, and we shall ensure the fullest public participation in major new decisions. "

http://www.conservative-party.net/manifestos/1979/1979-conservative-manifesto.shtml
CraigR
CraigR
479 posts

May 07, 2013, 21:46
Nah, more;

"Shut Up. And Fuck Off?"
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 08, 2013, 03:59
Of course realistically I imagine things must've been pretty bad in '79 for people to be conned by someone as evil as Thatcher. Same thing with Reagan in my country...
jshell
333 posts

May 08, 2013, 08:45
Lawrence wrote:
Of course realistically I imagine things must've been pretty bad in '79 for people to be conned by someone as evil as Thatcher. Same thing with Reagan in my country...

I remember back then. I'm no supporter of Thatcher, let's get that straight, but it's true that she was 'of her time'. The UK was bankrupt, the unions had the country on it's knees - they cared about nothing but their own political agendas, the IMF were running us, the rubbish piled up on the streets and the dead went unburied for weeks. The hospitals would only accept emergency patients.

In short, the Left had completely fucked the UK out of the park, it was a basket case. This is a matter of record.

My family, as many others, welcomed the breath of fresh air that Thatcher brought, but latterly they also couldn't wait to get rid of her. It could be said she started quite well and turned the UK round, but the pendulum swung too far and she ripped families and communities apart. We still see the industrial devastation now. The Conservatives are unwelcome in Scotland for this very reason. After winning 2 landlside elections, she is now hated by old foes and supporters alike.

Where would we be now without her intervention? I don't really know, but it's possible that for us things could have been even worse than now.

I've stayed away from the threads on Thatcher as I can see two sides to her, as I can with most issues. There is no doubt that many of her policies were devastating, but the UK had no choice but go through some kind of massive change. I suppose that every cloud has some kind of silver lining and much as I agree with your sentiments about Pinochet, he too, despite being a heinous murdering bastard, did keep his promise to bring democracy to his country and then step down afterwards...
Lawrence
9547 posts

May 08, 2013, 11:58
From what I heard, however, was that when Pinochet lost the plebiscite he was going to start another bloody coup but (ironically!) it was actually the military who stopped him. I just think Pinochet was a disturbingly rotten character all around, and it always disgusts me how his followers always make a big claim about him 'saving Chile'. It's the kind of thing that makes me sick to my stomach.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index