Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2012, 17:19
Re: I luv this!
Apr 22, 2012, 17:13
nigelswift wrote:

i can't see anyone refusing power on the grounds the turn out was too low.

Can you define "a real change from outside"? It's a bit worrying!

Refusing power isn't the issue, its how people would respond to any policies or attempt at governance made over them.

By change from outside I mean a revolution of one form or another. I don't see whats worrying about that, they can't happen without the support of the majority anyway. Also revolutions just happen anyway, you can't organise them, organising a revolution is like organising a riot, you can't. Therefore they are natural occurences. Granted what may come afterwards may be absolutely terrible, and worse than what was, but change is better than nothing and is actually inevitable.

Things collapse, nothing in society is permanent after all. Its not a question of collapse or revolution being a good or bad thing, its an inevitable thing. As we evolve, and our socieities change, all the strata and structures that we've built end up becoming blockages to our progress. We reach a point where they are no longer positive contributors in their current forms. So, we either change their forms, or completely remove them. There's nothing frightening or worrying about this.. I mean, how do you think we got to where we are now from where we started ?

Heh, metaphysically the 'outside' is the 'radical elsewhere', whats outside of the frame of a picture.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 17:26
Basically capitalism beat communism, and it's also beaten democracy. It has to go.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 17:39
It's an age thing. Change I can embrace, but revolution?! Why wouldn't I be worried? It's a step into the unknown, a promise of better times by those who can't possibly know if it will be for better or worse. I think I prefer the Coalition to possible anarchy, but as I say it's an age thing. ;)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 17:42
stray wrote:
Basically capitalism beat communism, and it's also beaten democracy. It has to go.

I totally agree in theory!
rockhopper
275 posts

Apr 22, 2012, 18:35
Unfortunately P.R is not utopia, but I'd agree its far better than first past the post. From the fiasco I've witnessed in Ireland P.R has produced exactly what you have over there, something no-one voted for. If you have to have coalition government, it is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that everyone declares who they will or will not join in with before a single vote is cast. Anything less is an utter farce.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 02:34
Well, it's a start. Voting's one thing, but if you feel your views are not being fully represented, you really should try and engage, lobby etc.. otherwise, we always have the 2 or 3 mains, with no competition.
"No voters", seriously, won't register "anything", "anywhere".
You might think of me as someone who would toast Camerons crumpets for him.. but, whilst I am broadly a Tory, I don't agree with everything on the agenda. Also, I am comforttable supporting the coalition...and not just as a political compromise.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Apr 23, 2012, 07:15
You really don't know the kind of political thought I really stand for, however. I'm not gonna get into it here but it is too radical for above-ground partyline crap.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Apr 26, 2012, 00:34
yes, yes, of course..
Lawrence
9547 posts

Apr 26, 2012, 02:52
Oh don't act so cynical.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic