Relevant dates:
Registered on: 05-Jul-2011
Renewal date: 05-Jul-2013
Last updated: 07-Jul-2011
Wychburylass
28 posts

Re: Phone Hacking the big fat nothing
Jul 07, 2011, 21:08
It's good to hear NOTW closure. BUT. We now have the Sunday Sun coming. DIfferent name but same shit.
toasted-whippet
toasted-whippet
86 posts

Jul 07, 2011, 21:26
Another aspect to this story that I fear will be lost is that NOTW journos made secret payments to police officers, I read in the Guardian this week

This should spark a corruption scandal in the Met, but I fear it will disappear
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Jul 07, 2011, 22:50
A NOTW journo who did the story on Jennifer Elliot (daughter of Denholm; living on streets, drug habit, sex worker) said on Radio 4 that the info came from a police officer who got paid for it, probably 200-500 quid. He also said he feels the stories ruined her life and contributed to her suicide.

Merseyside Police recently found 200 cases of unauthorised use of material (mostly it seems for the copper's own interest rather than selling to a journo). Seven cops lost their jobs over it.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/06/27/merseyside-police-officers-used-classified-records-illegally-208-times-in-three-years-100252-28946604/

If a copper who's Liverpool fan checks on Steven Gerrard's court case and that's out of line, how much worse is it if they sell info? And to a paper who will use it to make vulnerable people's lives even worse?

Whatever the NOTW have got coming, the cops involved have got coming too.

Not doing any breath-holding, though...
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jul 07, 2011, 23:18
Ed Milliband has just been given a roasting by Kirsty Wark on Newsnight.

He went on to say how disgusted he was. She pressed him on why he was at a News International party two weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012f50g
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Jul 08, 2011, 09:02
Exactly. Windscale = Sellafield
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Jul 18, 2011, 11:47
Wychburylass wrote:
At the moment we are in the amidst of a media frenzie concerning the latest revelations of phone hacking that has taken place at NOTW.

What will really happen, NOTHING. The idea is us ordinary people will just let off steam about it, so it can be nicely swept under the carpet in a month or two's time

Probably best if you do not set yourself up as a psychic or an astrologer...

This is just getting better and better. Everyday is just like Christmas as the old song has it. Even conservative bloggers are thinking this could go to Dave.

I'll have a bash at clairvoyance - this is going to bring down the government, or at least Dave stepping down. People are resigning too quickly, there is something bigger here. Say information gained by NI by nefarious means passed to Cons to help in elections? No, that would be too much.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Jul 18, 2011, 11:59
Robot Emperor wrote:
Wychburylass wrote:
At the moment we are in the amidst of a media frenzie concerning the latest revelations of phone hacking that has taken place at NOTW.

What will really happen, NOTHING. The idea is us ordinary people will just let off steam about it, so it can be nicely swept under the carpet in a month or two's time

This is just getting better and better. Everyday is just like Christmas as the old song has it. Even conservative bloggers are thinking this could go to Dave.

I'll have a bash at clairvoyance - this is going to bring down the government, or at least Dave stepping down. People are resigning too quickly, there is something bigger here. Say information gained by NI by nefarious means passed to Cons to help in elections? No, that would be too much.

I'm convinced that Murdoch has a lot on Call Me Dave, which he will unleash with both barrels. He's keeping his powder dry for now, but will choose his moment of revenge, and I reckon Gordon Brown has a few nasty suprises up his sleeve. Let's hope it's our generation's Profumo Affair re. Dave and the Condems.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Jul 18, 2011, 12:17
Robot Emperor wrote:
Wychburylass wrote:

Sorry Wychburylass, that reads as being much more snidey and unpleasant than I intended. Was going to insert a smiley thing but thought I would apologise instead.
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jul 18, 2011, 16:28
All the swift resignations, I suspect in exchange for not being exposed, there's lots of dirt here all round, I think you're right, and suspect well never know what really went on.

The best outcome will be that people distrust shallow shite newspapers, become more realistic and savvy (not necessarily cynical) about politicians, the press, media and corporates in general.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index