Phone Hacking the big fat nothing

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wychburylass
28 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2011, 12:24
Phone Hacking the big fat nothing
Jul 06, 2011, 11:30
At the moment we are in the amidst of a media frenzie concerning the latest revelations of phone hacking that has taken place at NOTW.

What will really happen, NOTHING. The idea is us ordinary people will just let off steam about it, so it can be nicely swept under the carpet in a month or two's time, just like everything else that is treated as shock and horror event or topic by the media. The police, the politicians, the press will carry on as they have done so before.

If this particular incident has REALLY affected you and you want to act on it, the best thing you can do is stop buying NOTW and importantly don't give custom to companies who are associated with the paper.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Re: Phone Hacking the big fat nothing
Jul 06, 2011, 11:57
Wychburylass wrote:
At the moment we are in the amidst of a media frenzie concerning the latest revelations of phone hacking that has taken place at NOTW.

What will really happen, NOTHING. The idea is us ordinary people will just let off steam about, so it can be nicely swept under the carpet in a month or two's time, just like everything else that is treated as shock and horror event or topic by the media. The police, the politicians, the press will carry on as they have done so before.

If this particular incident has REALLY affected you and you want to act on it, the best thing you can do is stop buying NOTW and importantly don't give custom to companies who are associated with the paper.

Well, as I said over on the Village Pump; connections run to all sorts of levels, even Cameron's inner circle of posh chums like Rebekka Brookes. - And of course he's eager to distance himself as effectively as possible from his former spin doctor Andy Coulson. So, expect some proper gagging and disappearing stories the likes of Ryan Giggs could only dream of!
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 13:42
I think you're completely right, but there's still the chance to put on a bit of pressure and get Rebekah Brookes sacked which might act as some sort of deterrent for other papers not to act in quite so vile a manner.

And even if it doesn't getting advertisers to boycott NOTW hits the murdoch empire where it hurts, and anything that does that is all to the good.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2011, 13:54
Jul 06, 2011, 13:44
Talking of which - "The Co-operative supermarket is standing by the News of The World and will continue to stock and advertise in the paper."

you can call Co-op PR on a freephone number, 0800 0686 727, to complain. Or drop an email to the customer relations department at [email protected].

If ford have the ethics to boycott, how come the 'ethical supermarket' doesn't?

EDIT: ooops, scratch that, they pulled their advertising a couple of hours ago. http://www.brandrepublic.com/news/1078842/co-operative-group-virgin-holidays-join-news-world-boycott/
wychburyman
951 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 16:53
I contacted the Halifax and asked if they would still be advertising in NOTW on Sunday as I might well withdraw my custom if they do. The response was "sorry about that, and why should you want to withdraw your custom?" Like. Derrr
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2011, 16:59
Jul 06, 2011, 16:58
You should withdraw your custom solely on the dreadfulness of those godawful fucking adverts and the nauseating c*nts therein!

Edited to add the word "nauseating".
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2011, 01:23
Jul 07, 2011, 01:23
This reminds me of the MP's expenses scandal.

The daily telegraph publishes it's revelations about Conservative MPs, and the response from Labour was... Well, muted. They knew full well that they also had their collective hands in the same cookie jar.

I was listening to a radio interview on radio 5 at about 11.30 this evening/last night, with a survivor of the 7/7 London bombings.

This particular interviewee rescued people from the tubetrain, and was the subject of considerable media attention in the weeks following the incident.

He was asked about the latest allegations in the Telegraph about the NOTW hacking the phones of dead soldiers.

His response was "How do the telegraph know about it?"

Personally, I'm made up that News International are being forced to squirm. But as ever, it's easy to use the blame of individuals as a sop to absorb calls to change the whole corrupt edifice.

(edited for typo)
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jul 07, 2011, 09:22
(edited to add this comment)
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2011, 09:56
Jul 07, 2011, 09:55
This is actually starting to get very serious for Call Me Dave. The level of public/cross-party outrage is high, Ed Millband had him floundering and wrong footed at PM Qs, and even The Torygraph is on his case:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/peteroborne/100095686/david-cameron-is-in-the-sewer-because-of-his-news-international-friends/
wychburyman
951 posts

Jul 07, 2011, 13:34
Toni Torino wrote:
godawful fucking adverts and the nauseating c*nts therein!

Edited to add the word "nauseating".

oh yesss
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index