U-Know! Forum »
Gassing the kurds

18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
YerArseInParsley
365 posts

PR=Propoganda
Sep 13, 2002, 14:34
First some disclaimers since I'm unfamiliar to you (and with the greatest of respect to Grufty Jim having read many of your previous posts).

I'm no friend of Saddam, or Tam for that matter,
America isn't my enemy, I doubt I have any enemys nowadays. Love the country, hate the state.
I was appalled by the WTC attacks, but no more appalled than the similar crimes you partially list ( and have listed more fully previously).
I do feel strongly that the US deaths have received far more and far more sympathetic press coverage.
I feel the reasons for this bias are themselves informative, but too obvious to go into.
I would accept that one Kurd gassed was one too many.

However, Tams allegations make more than one point.
Firstly, it was an attack that was perpetrated by both sides, not just one side as is commonly portrayed. This is puposeful propoganda.
Secondly, the death count has been exaggerated without being questioned to justify the current ongoing and escalating war against Iraq. This is war propaganda, much like the stories of atrocities commited against Belgian nuns in the First World War. Dehumanising the enemy.

I asked some of my friends, reasonably intelligent and informed people, how many people had died in the last Gulf War. Many of them responded with figures of a few hundred or at most a few thousand, either unaware of the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi deaths or unaware that Iraqis count as humans. This is because they are 'informed' people and that is the message our media presents. This is awful, and must be worked against and pointed out by everyone who can maintain their credulity in the face of lets face it, Western brainwashing.

The first casuality of war is truth, and veracity has been victimised in the USuk for a long time.

Tam may be wrong about the facts, I haven't had time to investigate and probably haven't access to real evidence myself. But I believe the points raised by his questioning are valid, useful and rare.

U-Know! Forum Index