U-Know! Forum »
Gassing the kurds

18 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Gassing the kurds
Sep 12, 2002, 15:07
Grufty Jim is correct when he says that this kind of debate tends to polarise opinions on one side or the other, thus ignoring the fact that both sides may be equally at fault. I would also agree that this isn't merely about statistics, it's about the basic abuse of human rights, and that even if Saddam did only gas 200 Kurds his actions are still inexcusable.

But nevertheless, if there is indeed any truth in Dalyell's allegations, surely this confirms what most of us suspected all along - that this impending war is a trumped up political exercise on the part of the US, which has the potential to turn into a modern Vietnam in which thousands will be killed for no moral reason.

In addition to protecting oil reserves, I also suspect that the agenda of the US government is to shore up support for Bush, diverting attention away from his poor performance on domestic issues and ensuring he wins another term on the basis of his foreign policy alone. However, whether US civilians will continue to support an ongoing war effort in practice remains to be seen. According to the most recent survey I read, Dubya has the support of just over half the American population, a figure which will either rise or fall depending on the results of the Iraqi invasion.

U-Know! Forum Index