Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed
May 09, 2011, 17:48
keith a wrote:
ratcni01 wrote:
I think that may be all Merrick was trying to say.

That's a very liberal interpretation, Rat. I thought it was a pretty sick thing to say personally.

I think it's very rational actually.
keith a
9572 posts

May 09, 2011, 18:12
The Sea Cat wrote:
keith a wrote:
ratcni01 wrote:

That's a very liberal interpretation, Rat. I thought it was a pretty sick thing to say personally.

"All but one were lucky enough not to kill someone" is rational?

OK. That's your opinion.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

May 09, 2011, 18:24
keith a wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
keith a wrote:
ratcni01 wrote:

"All but one were lucky enough not to kill someone" is rational?

OK. That's your opinion.

Yes it is my opinion and I stand by it.
keith a
9572 posts

May 09, 2011, 18:28
Merrick wrote:
I genuinely don't see why it's a sick thing to say. There were thousands upon thousands of strikes by officers that day as hard as those received by Ian Tomlinson. To the best of our knowledge, none of those officers is being disciplined.

Given that they administered violence to the same degree as Harwood, and given that until the footage of Tomlinson's assault came to light the police were putting out a firm story that they'd had nothing to do with it, it is just the bad luck that Harwood got the one who died. What happened to him could have happened to any of hundreds of officers who behaved identically.

In what way is that crass or sick?

The definition of crass includes gross, insensitive and stupid and in my opinion saying "All but one were lucky enough not to kill someone" qualifies on all three scores.

That's my opinion and like Seacat below I'm standing by it.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 09, 2011, 18:50
Are you not going to respond to what I said then, I argued it logically? Isn't this a discussion board, it's not personal you know!
keith a
9572 posts

May 09, 2011, 18:54
Rhiannon wrote:
I don't see what your issue with Merrick's sentence is?

Well there's no point continuing this conversation then is there.
Myers
Myers
151 posts

May 09, 2011, 19:34
Im with Keith on this. It was a fairly imflamatory comment with little justification.

Going on the evidence, we have one officer who abused his position, and will hopefully be held to account. I'm sure others did the same, but to suggest all police do this is a bit silly and counter productive.
keith a
9572 posts

May 09, 2011, 21:08
Rhiannon wrote:
Are you not going to respond to what I said then, I argued it logically? Isn't this a discussion board, it's not personal you know!

Yes, you did argue it logically which is appreciated. It doesn't alter my view of Merrick's post though. Thanks all the same.
Son Of Custard
111 posts

May 09, 2011, 23:41
Oi !
Your debating people who can't be bothered to question "Death to Mother-fuckers"...........Julian Cope's April Drudian signoff.
Death to which Mother-Fuckers?{Puh-lease be specific....}
How do we kill them in a 'Cool' way?{Fire extinguisher perhaps?}
Viva the 'Revolution' baby....
and all that.
Custard
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

May 10, 2011, 00:34
We wear different masks, Keith. I don't know what you do for a living, but I'd imagine that the way you treat those you interact with professionally differently than you do in a different context.

For example, if you work in a call centre, and some irate person tells you to fuck off, you'd be diplomatic. You'd try to pour oil on troubled waters and would do your best to sort out whatever issue was causing them to be so angry. If the same person was to do the same thing when you were trying to have a quiet dinner out with your wife and family, you might perhaps ask the landlord to ask the person hassling you to leave.

So it is with the police. On the one hand they protect us and keep the peace. In this role they put themselves between glass weilding drunks, and pick up the pieces when some young prick has wrapped his astra around a tree. It's not a role I'd be prepared to do myself, and I accept it's necessary. But they also have a political role.

If we live in an unjust society (please feel free tp explain if you feel that we live in a just society) and the police enforce the status quo, then the role itself is corrupt.

At the moment, I'm getting phone calls, sometimes several times a day, from people claiming to be from Microsoft, urging me to switch on my computer and visit a particular website, which will remove the horrible viruses the caller reckons my computer has been infected with.

The poor guy making the call isn't necessarily a twat. He's just doing what he's told. In exchange for money. But he's still trying to fuck me over, and I doubt it you'd have any qualms about stopping not just him, but his entire way of making a living from disappearing.

Would it make any difference if for 7 hours of his 8 hour day, he was working for an ordinary helpline?
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index