Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed
May 09, 2011, 13:03
There was something on the radio today about police officers being kickedout with no fuss for doing dodgy stuff, seems they get suspended on full pay and then led out the back door to full pension etc rather than disciplined for gross misconduct and consequent loss of employment rights etc.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 09, 2011, 13:51
it's all a bit bloody tangled isn't it.
Myers
Myers
151 posts

May 09, 2011, 13:51
Sorry, my mistake.
keith a
9573 posts

Edited May 09, 2011, 16:32
May 09, 2011, 16:31
Merrick wrote:
All but one were lucky enough not to kill someone and have it caught on film that went to a lefty media outlet.

That's a crass entry even by your standards.
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

May 09, 2011, 16:41
There are some very gung ho coppers out there. A couple of blokes in Nottingham UAF who have massive scars on their heads from being battered by the police. Am sure they weren't being nice well behaved protesters but they were only pushing at the line not throwing stuff or wielding any weapons themselves. I bet they were being fairly provocative, but enough to justify being hospitalised? Not from what I gather.
keith a
9573 posts

May 09, 2011, 16:44
ratcni01 wrote:
There are some very gung ho coppers out there.

I didn't say there wasn't.
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

May 09, 2011, 16:56
I think that may be all Merrick was trying to say.

Mind you I must also say that in Luton couple of months ago the fucking huge coppers, all over 6'2" and 16 stone, with trousers tucked in their boots, wearing combats and armour were very restrained. Looked very menacing, mind you the group that broke away from the main demo were mostly students ie. skinny and young, enthusiatic and didn't really have a plan either. Can imagine those coppers thinking to themselves "Really? I weigh twice what you do, and have big boots, body armour and a shield, what do you think you are going to do?"
keith a
9573 posts

May 09, 2011, 17:03
ratcni01 wrote:
I think that may be all Merrick was trying to say.

That's a very liberal interpretation, Rat. I thought it was a pretty sick thing to say personally.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

May 09, 2011, 17:22
I genuinely don't see why it's a sick thing to say. There were thousands upon thousands of strikes by officers that day as hard as those received by Ian Tomlinson. To the best of our knowledge, none of those officers is being disciplined.

Given that they administered violence to the same degree as Harwood, and given that until the footage of Tomlinson's assault came to light the police were putting out a firm story that they'd had nothing to do with it, it is just the bad luck that Harwood got the one who died. What happened to him could have happened to any of hundreds of officers who behaved identically.

In what way is that crass or sick?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

May 09, 2011, 17:45
I don't see what your issue with Merrick's sentence is? Say you have a big crowd representing a cross section of the population, some of them are going to have medical problems like Tomlinson did, say one of them has liver problems or a kidney problem or a heart problem, or whatever. And that person is living perfectly fine on an ordinary day, but if they get thwacked by a police baton hard enough that's going to tip their condition over the edge and it'll have fatal consequences.

Sooo if the police are happy to hit people hard enough that it can trigger a fatal result in a tiny minority of people, and they don't know who those people are in the crowd.. then yes - "all but one of them was lucky enough not to kill someone". How can you not agree with that?
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index