Register
U-Know! Forum »
More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)

135 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)
Oct 14, 2010, 11:48
Loopy Lumbago wrote:
No, Mr B, I don't hate Bono at all.
To me he's a face and a name that pops up in the celebrity news from time to time along Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan.
And how he uses his money; personally I couldn't care less.
And I'm well aware you can find ruthless motherfuckers among musicians as in any other group. But I can't really see that being a ruthless motherfucker should give anyone carte blanche to exploit said motherfucker.

Quote: "Well a moral double standard based on whether or not you like someone's art is itself evidence of a cool-o-meter."

I see you're eagerly maintaining the claim that people here criticise Bonos economical dispositions and idealism/lack of idealism solely because they hate his music.
Seems to me that instead of claiming you can read peoples mind, this "cool-o-meter" pops up.
Imo you've delivered some good arguments against the criticism of said gentleman's idealism, and that's why I don't understand why this "cool-o-meter" argument should be necessary.
I'm far from being perfect myself, but I've really begun to wonder about some of the "debating techniques" being used on our beloved HH.

Fair enough. I see it in operation (the cool-o-meter). Others wont. Both opinions come from a fairly fixed standpoint and I am well aware that mine comes with its own set of fairly hard wired prejudices. I am not claiming to read people's minds I am responding to observable trends in opinions that shelter some artists from criticism for their greedheaded bahaviour and exposes others.

Unsung is basically a forum for unpaid rock criticism and the sharing of enthusiasms. All forms of art criticism are open to the vagaries of fashion and rock criticism (paid or unpaid) does suffer from some hard-wired notions of its own. The Macca bad - Lennon good thing. The Floyd with Syd good - Floyd without Syd bad thing. There are dozens of these ideas that get embedded through repetition. None of them started here of course but the Bono is **** thing is one of those that is now just part of the currency.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index