Register
U-Know! Forum »
More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Re: More Bono bashing (never enough IMO)
Oct 12, 2010, 16:45
Ian?
I don't think so.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 16:55
dodge one wrote:
Ian?
I don't think so.

I am an arse actually but given that no one is auditing my life and finances to ascertain the size of my charitable contributions I largely get off scot-free!
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 17:08
You keep posting. At the risk of being accused of "Conquering and Dividing" and "ARSE- KISSin'"...I will tell you that YOU sir are one of the main reasons i like this site. Allways a well thought out and considerate response. You don't brow beat your outlook down anyone's throat either.
Keep on fighting your corner.
D1
Loopy Lumbago
Loopy Lumbago
95 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 18:14
Well that was a bit more substantial than "it is all about money", and of course I'm aware that music, same as potatoes and diapers has to be packaged, marketed and sold.
The question is what interests should dominate, economical or artistic.
I believe there are alternatives to blindly succumbing to the rules and dynamics of capitalism and the existing business models.
I could be wrong but it seems to me more and more artists are looking for alternatives these days.
But if any artist feel a strong need to put money into the pockets of as many middlemen as possible, it's their choice, of course.
And I have a suspicion: the more middlemen - the more it's about the money.
I started to get interested in pop & rock about 64 - 65 and have over the years read far too many stories about cynical and ruthless exploitation by managers and record companies to believe in the blessings of the existing business models.

Ps. My nephew is quite a musician already, and after reading your postings above I sincerely hope this is not one of his first steps towards global domination. ;o)

http://www.youtube.com/user/aubertjpa#p/a/f/2/_64O42bBUDk

Have a wonderful Autumn!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 18:58
dodge one wrote:
Ian?
I don't think so.

hahaha! whereever did you get the idea I meant Ian rather than Bonio?! Or were you joking?

In case you're not joking, you should know that I consider Ian a good mate IRL as well as on here, and certainly not an arse.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 19:02
IanB wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
And that is a good point as well!

The way I look at it is that rock n roll is like football. The fact that it is all about money doesn't stop it being an art or a genuine sporting competition. At a professional level it is about all three things all at the same time. Doesn't stop me loving either rock n roll or football but we can't pretend that artists are not infected by the money or the competition for platinum discs, charts and bigger and bigger venues. The ones that aren't and get out alive and are still artistically vital are few and far between. Those are the people we celebrate here isn't it?

Now I'm confused. We are meant to celebrate the fact that Bono has done some good things for charidee, but we're celebrating the musicians that don't go for the competition for platinum discs, big venues etc?

I guess to some extent I'm playing devil's advocate here TBH. Although I can see that I shouldn't be unkind about Bonio's good works, I have a fixed opinion that he is an utter tosser. This is coz I saw U2 do one of their early London gigs. Not only were they complete rubbish, but Bonio was the most arrogant, self-centred arse I've ever had the misfortune to see on stage.

OK, so he has probably redeemed himself by helping zillions of people out of poverty, which I can't knock, but please don't ask me to actually LIKE him!

I am not asking you to like him at all. I don't like them either but I think it is worth examining that the commercial instinct and the ego drive for success is a big part of what makes rock n roll tick. The way I look at it is if Bono uses his fame to do what he does then it might be worth giving him some credit for that and making an honest assessment of what drives the likes of Lydon and Iggy et al to wiggle their asses on tv for corporate cash. That's all really.

Yeah, fair enough. Especially comparing him to the other corporate sell-outs. I knew what you meant really, I've just got a bee in my bonnet about Bonio. Now Sting on the other hand...*

*runs away and waits for it all to kick off about Sting, who I met many years ago and seemed a truly decent and humble human bean.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Oct 12, 2010, 19:40
dodge one wrote:
You keep posting. At the risk of being accused of "Conquering and Dividing" and "ARSE- KISSin'"...I will tell you that YOU sir are one of the main reasons i like this site. Allways a well thought out and considerate response. You don't brow beat your outlook down anyone's throat either.
Keep on fighting your corner.
D1

Very kind of you to say. I'm still an arse though.
ron
ron
706 posts

Oct 13, 2010, 02:16
sanshee wrote:

All this 'you only complain because it's Bono' defence is as reactionary as actually complaining for that very reason.

x

insightful and clever… point well made obviously...

r
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 13, 2010, 09:17
yeah I thought so too. don't understand why people didn't understand it!
keith a
9573 posts

Oct 13, 2010, 10:38
I think 'pointless' was the word I used for that bit.

I thought it was like some crass soundbite a modern politician would say. Sounds good, but is ultimately hollow. Unless you live your life as some weird take on David Carradine’s Kung-fu programme and get all Zen-like!

Otherwise, it's like me answering your last message with...

All this 'you say you can’t understand why people don’t understand’ is as reactionary saying you don’t understand.

It’s basically “Let’s call everyone who disagrees with me a reactionary.”

Brilliant.

And the bit I said I didn't understand was a totally different bit but I'm starting to feel like a parrot now...
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index