U-Know! Forum »
2m Immigrants?

29 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caergog
393 posts

Re: utter tosh!
Aug 06, 2002, 21:02
unfortuanately there does seem to still be discrimination, a janitor at a school I worked at a few years ago was infact a highly qualified engineer but could not gain employment here, he was origininally from Elsalvador (i think) and could not return due to political reasons. In saying that by the time i met him he had been here some time but the whole situation seemed unfair yet something he had learnt to accept.That is of course only one example no doubt there are many more.Maybe if he was a doctor or nurse he'd have had a better chance of following his career, but that in itself anoys me that one career should be given preference over another just because we are desperate,obviously many people coming here have not had the money to finance their education but no doubt if given a chance could flourish. I think it already says a lot about character by the fact that some people have often gone through hell to get here.
On the other side of the coin(kind of) my friend got treated like crap when he first came to paris as his french was very poor, how ever after about four years( when he was fluent in french) he ended up teaching english in the sorbonne with out qualifications just experience.
But he did just happen to be white which i feel made quite a difference there as I never saw a white man cleaning the streets once, in the year and a half i was there.
carolinex
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index