U-Know! Forum »
2m Immigrants?

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joe Chip
94 posts

2m Immigrants?
Aug 05, 2002, 15:22
Thre was a report yesterday that for the forseeable future, there will be 2 million immigrants per decade to Britain. Is that wise demographically or culturally? Are there therefore going to be 2 million extra jobs created per decade, will these be as a result of a Green Caard system?
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Re: 2m Immigrants?
Aug 05, 2002, 15:29
I think 2m is probably a huge over exageration (personally that is, I'm sure I'll be proved wrong by someone on this list). This figure doesn't take into account people leaving Britain to go and work elsewhere. And I wish the term immigrant wasn't used I bloody hate it! Why can't anyone just say 2m people will be coming to Britain in the next decade. The word immigrant makes all these people sound like scroungers..... and a large majority (I won't say all as again I'm sure someone will prove me wrong or shout me down) of people aren't!!

These stats and quotes are a terrible state of affairs, no-one can predict, only guess at how many people will come over here for whatever reason and the current figures used by the Government, as a scare tactic, are highly exagerated.
Joe Chip
94 posts

Aug 05, 2002, 15:46
I think one of the key phrases in that report is "foreseeable future". We're considered one of the societies with the strongest economies so while there are poor people on the planet, Britain will continue to be a chosen destination.
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Aug 05, 2002, 16:25
Possibly, but I still think that 2m is one hell of an over estimation.... I'll dig out some of our stats from work and let you know. (Work with Asylum/Refugees/Homeless etc. I argue stats with Government Agencies at least once a week! And it is all scare tactics)

No-one can stop people coming here if they want to!

Nat x
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Aug 05, 2002, 16:35
Story here:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_31669,0005.htm
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Aug 05, 2002, 16:39
And the original press release is linked from here:
http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/default.asp?menu=pressreleases&page=pressreleases.htm
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Aug 05, 2002, 16:44
And here is the report in all its glory.
http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/BulletinNo7.htm

I;m gonna stop now...
caergog
393 posts

Aug 05, 2002, 17:08
is there any info anywhere about how many people leave the UK and work/live abroad?Just curious about the kind of balance this creates (if any). I suspect its a lot less than 2 million but just from the number of people i know who now live abroad on a permanent basis makes me think( if mutiplied up) it might be quite a high number.I did leave but came back!
love carolinex
CraigR
CraigR
479 posts

Aug 05, 2002, 17:26
@@The word immigrant makes all these people sound like scroungers..... @@

No it doesn't!!

They are immigrants. What term shold we use?

'People from other countries wanting perminant residence in UK'??

They are immigrants, don't be so PC ;-)
caergog
393 posts

Aug 05, 2002, 17:35
sorry Nat I've just realised i've basically just repeated what you said about people leaving below.
I must remember to read all posts before jumping in!(my lazy head is on today)
love carolinex
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index