2m Immigrants?

29 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

utter tosh!
Aug 06, 2002, 12:29
Recent immigrants tend to contribute less tax largely due to racism. The racism that keeps them at the bottom of the employment ladder. Most immigrants are pretty well educated and of an age where they will contribute to the economy for 40 odd years (or at least would do if they were allowed to).

Immigration is also vital, due in no small parts to falling birth rats in the ‘western world’. 2 mill probably isn’t much more than the number needed to offset this (especially if you take into account those leaving the country as well. I’m not sure of the figures these days, but up until the early 90’s more LEFT the country than arrived. And in the following few years the extra numbers arriving were only slightly higher than those leaving). There’s an excellent book by Nigel Harris that covers the whole area very well. Though of course I can’t remember what the title is.

These are not ‘useless mouths’ (a fucking revolting sounding phrase) they are overwhelmingly desperate mouths, full of a hell of a lot of wisdom and talent (just look at how many of these people get here! It takes a bravery and an ingenuity that precious few westerners probably have).

I’m afraid I think it’s attitudes like ‘uselss mouths’ that feed into the racism and bullshit bigotry that these people are forced to live with. And that’s shit, frankly.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index