Apr 07, 2010, 15:03
Freedom for Tooting.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Guess what verdict the cop got
Apr 07, 2010, 15:59
Daminxa wrote:
Getting right up in someone's face and shouting at them and swearing at them is aggressive, violent behaviour in my opinion. The lady in question was guilty of that. It didn't mean she deserved a clobbering, in fact it demonstrates that the cop in question had very poor conflict resolution skills, but to paint ALL coppers as violent thugs and ALL protestors as peaceful isn't entirely accurate, is it? There's blame on both sides.

The way I see it is that the police are supposedly there to "keep the peace". The protesters are there to protest. The police should be well prepared for verbal aggression from protestors. They are trained and equipped to deal with even physical violence. And yet they dished out physical violence to a woman who was merely giving them verbals.

Thus not only did the police fail in their task (keeping the peace), they were also guilty of the very thing they were meant to be preventing - violence.

The phrase "not fit for purpose" springs to mind.
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Apr 07, 2010, 16:10
Merrick wrote:
Locodogz wrote:
"I hate anyone who would use violence against peaceful protesters."

" It's also an essential part of the role of the police officer."

Is that in the job spec? Or just in your imagination?

Your edit misses out a very important point.

The role of the police officer is to enforce the law. (The additional role that's accepted is to enforce obedience to their will, but let's stick to the principle). Laws are invented by politicians and handed down to police. They are instructed to use whatever coercion it takes to enforce the laws.

It is not the officer's role to defy this. If the laws do more harm than good, if they invent or exacerbate trouble, they enforce them nonetheless. Most especially, if the laws change - even to the exact opposite of what they had been - the same police use the same power and coercion to enforce the new law. The example that sparked this thread was deployment to use violence against peaceful protesters. there are many others we could cite, but I'm sure we all get the idea.

The role they take on says 'give me rules to enforce, I don't care what they are as long as they are rules and I get to enforce them'. I cannot see how that is anything other than morally bankrupt; I cannot see how anyone can deny that is the essential role of the police officer.

If you can, please explain it to me.

I've got colanders with fewer holes than this drivel. I haven't really got the time (or inclination) to properly dissect this but I'll happily chuck in a few observations...

About the only thing you make sense on is that "the role of the police officer is to enforce the law" - do you have an issue with this? Presumably (outside of some Nirvana-esque utopia) someone has to?

Then it goes a little bit doolally methinks...

"The additional role that's accepted is to enforce obedience to their will" Accepted by you (and maybe even some of your mates) but you have any evidence of any wider acceptance of this point?

"They are instructed to use whatever coercion it takes to enforce the laws"??? I'll take your word for this alleged 'instruction' but even if this is true coercion doesn't equal violence. Here's one of many definitions to this effect

coerce - to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means

The police could 'coerce' speeding drivers to slow down by shooting their tyres but they don't as a rule. You're conveniently ignoring the fact that coercion can be achieved by moral means (namely that of upholding the law) presumably as it doesn't quite fit your 'all coppers are psychos' mantra.

My involvement in this thread arose when you blithely stated that you "hated 99% of the police" with the implication that they'd use violence against peaceful protesters. I know a couple who tell me they wouldn't (not over 1% of the force I acknowledge but possible as statistically meaningful as your insight into 99% of the police) and that's why I'm saying you're wrong on this.

Then you state "The role they take on says 'give me rules to enforce, I don't care what they are as long as they are rules and I get to enforce them'" If that's the case can you explain the reams and reams of archaic law on the statute books that isn't actively enforced?

Anyway I'll draw to a close here - from what I've observed in other threads you're not likely to acknowledge that there's any mistake on your part anyway – but I do hope your myopic ‘hatred’ other humans you’ve yet to meet doesn’t churn you up too much.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Apr 07, 2010, 16:26
Merrick wrote:
pooley wrote:
Do you equally hate a protester that uses a peaceful protest as an opportunity to bash a few coppers heads?

I do despise the idea that attacking cops is some sort of useful or worthy activity in and of itself, yes. The cops are not the enemy, they are its guard dogs.

But to answer the particular wording of the question, it depends on the specific situation, what the coppers are there to do on that day.

Frankly, I have more respect for violence from fascist street thugs than violence from cops. The fascists believe in something, the cops are just fighting for what other people believe in. Their violence is to maintain the rules written down by others, irrespective of their wisdom.

I cannot respect someone who would use whatever violence it took to enforce obedience to a rule then, when the rule is changed to its polar opposite, that same person uses the same coercion to enforce the new rule.

It's either a complete blind faith in those making the rules, or a belief that obedience to authority is the most important thing.

pooley wrote:
Would you defend the copper being targeted by a knob head protester (there are a few) with as much gusto as you would protect a protester being clobbered by a copper?

Again, I would decry it, but not to the same degree. The cops has been entrusted with a higher position, given arms and armour. So the same behaviour from them is a worse crime.

Merrick, friend, I find a lot of your answer disturbing, and morally questionable (to say the least)

Are you really saying that it is ok to bash someones head because you believe in something and they dont?

Are you really saying that (in some situations) coppers deserve to get a kicking just because they are coppers, doing their jobs?

Also, I dont get why you think police have to believe in every rule they enforce? Wouldn't that mean sacking all the coppers, and hiring new ones every time a law, major or minor, is changed?? Isn't that insane?

How can you expect agood honest policeman to agree with every single law passed?

Every job makes hypocrites of us. Every job has things we agree with, and things we dont - that's life.

I work in publishing - some books that we publish, I actively despise - should I forbid their publication?

Should Doctors who disagree with under age sex not put young girls on the pill?

Or maybe that same Doctor does not like gays - should he not treat them?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Apr 07, 2010, 16:37
But presumably you agree that the police shouldn't use unnecessary violence? That they shouldn't use violence out of all proportion to the situation they find themselves in? So Sgt Smellie should have been convicted?

Sorry, just trying to cut through all this quibbling. There is a serious point underneath all this somewhere.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Apr 07, 2010, 16:45
Squid Tempest wrote:
But presumably you agree that the police shouldn't use unnecessary violence? That they shouldn't use violence out of all proportion to the situation they find themselves in? So Sgt Smellie should have been convicted?

Sorry, just trying to cut through all this quibbling. There is a serious point underneath all this somewhere.

No I agree completely - and I agree this bastard should have been convicted
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Apr 07, 2010, 18:38
Yeah well like I say, that particular copper got it badly wrong - yes they are supposed to be able to deal with a physical assault without giving someone a damn good pasting. I'm just not a fan of these sweeping generalisations. That copper was a wanker, a tosser, a twat of the highest order, but that wasn't BECAUSE he was a copper, he'd have been a tool whatever his profession. To me, he doesn't necessarily represent ALL policemen.

I've had far more dealings with the police in my time than I would've liked. Some of them have been cumstains of the highest order, like the twatting little tosspot who threatened me with his truncheon (oooh-er) because I didn't look properly before I crossed the road on my way to the station one morning. Most of them, however, have been completely professional and some of them have been downright stars. You can't generalise about people just on the grounds that they're in the police force, and the same should be said of protestors.

Most protestors DO want to protest and make their point peacefully, but some of them are there just to kick off, and I've met the latter, unfortunately. I don't condone it, but if you're there just to have a fight with a copper or to see how far you can push/test them before they lash out, part of me thinks you can't really complain if you get a slap (not at all pc of me I know). The fact that not all coppers DO rise to the bait is to their credit, surely?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Apr 07, 2010, 19:52
Daminxa wrote:
Yeah well like I say, that particular copper got it badly wrong - yes they are supposed to be able to deal with a physical assault without giving someone a damn good pasting. I'm just not a fan of these sweeping generalisations. That copper was a wanker, a tosser, a twat of the highest order, but that wasn't BECAUSE he was a copper, he'd have been a tool whatever his profession. To me, he doesn't necessarily represent ALL policemen.

I've had far more dealings with the police in my time than I would've liked. Some of them have been cumstains of the highest order, like the twatting little tosspot who threatened me with his truncheon (oooh-er) because I didn't look properly before I crossed the road on my way to the station one morning. Most of them, however, have been completely professional and some of them have been downright stars. You can't generalise about people just on the grounds that they're in the police force, and the same should be said of protestors.

Most protestors DO want to protest and make their point peacefully, but some of them are there just to kick off, and I've met the latter, unfortunately. I don't condone it, but if you're there just to have a fight with a copper or to see how far you can push/test them before they lash out, part of me thinks you can't really complain if you get a slap (not at all pc of me I know). The fact that not all coppers DO rise to the bait is to their credit, surely?

In this case their job was, I assume, to keep the peace. As I see it, if any one of them caused violence, it reflects on them as a force - they failed in their objective. At the very least the person in charge was culpable.

On the other hand, the protesters are not in the pay of the public, they have no public duty as such. Apart, that is, from upholding the image of whatever their cause is, which is a nebulous thing and not easy to define.

Although I agree that sweeping genralisations are not helpful, in this case it is not so much a generalisation as a recognition of the purpose of the police at this demonstration. The purpose of the force as a whole. The misbehaviour of any one is failure of the discipline of the force as a whole.

Does that make sense? I'm not really very good at expressing these things!
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Apr 07, 2010, 22:54
Not at all, you've made a really good point! I agree that this individual's actions reflect terribly on the Police as a whole, but I think in reality not every member of the force would have behaved in such an appalling manner.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing his actions at all - I'm afraid I'm a very old fashioned girl who believes men should never, in any circumstance, hit women, police badges/provocation aside! Honestly though, I don't think this one idiot's behaviour is indicative of the average policeman's response to that particular situation. A hand up, palm facing the protestor and a firm tone asking her to step back is ALL that was required here, and the fact he failed in that simple task is reprehensible - THAT'S what makes it shocking.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Apr 07, 2010, 23:06
Daminxa wrote:
Not at all, you've made a really good point! I agree that this individual's actions reflect terribly on the Police as a whole, but I think in reality not every member of the force would have behaved in such an appalling manner.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing his actions at all - I'm afraid I'm a very old fashioned girl who believes men should never, in any circumstance, hit women, police badges/provocation aside! Honestly though, I don't think this one idiot's behaviour is indicative of the average policeman's response to that particular situation. A hand up, palm facing the protestor and a firm tone asking her to step back is ALL that was required here, and the fact he failed in that simple task is reprehensible - THAT'S what makes it shocking.

Sorry, I wasn't really disagreeing with you, more making my own point. I must admit that to some extent I posted it as an answer to you rather than getting involved in the big argument!
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index