Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
When does a sick joke become a holy relic?

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: When does a sick joke become a holy relic?
Dec 23, 2009, 18:30
Jim Tones wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
It's a very weird feeling walking round that place, it's almost as if the silence was deafening. Hearing what the guide had to say during the second visit, two winters ago, was sickening. It was freezing and snowing, we the 'tourists' were all wrapped up in warm clothes. For the unfortunates all those years ago, they wore rags and starved on a good day. A sobering thought so places like this should be preserved but do many of humankind, especially those in power, take any notice? Somehow, sadly I think not!

The one thing that struck me about visiting the Dachau site, was that there were no birds flying around, no wildlife at all really.
As you said, the 'stillness' was very odd indeed, eventhough you do realise the past events of the place when you are walking around etc.

I have no jewish or eastern european heritage, but I visited Dachau, as I was once told by an elderly jewish bloke a few years before, that if I was ever within 50 miles of one of the Camps, that I should pay a visit and to whisper the words-"never again" -whilst I was in the grounds.

I've been to Dachau too and it was one of the weirdest experiences. It felt like if you spoke above a whisper it was somehow inappropriate. The whole thing felt like an odd combination of 'interesting' and 'chilling'.
I'm glad I went though - it was defintely a different experience from simply going round a historical site. Real resonance there. And I agree, they should be left and remembered. I'm all for moving on but in terms of human history, given the enormity of the evil it represents, the holocaust was practically yesterday - it's not looking that far back and that makes it all the more tangible and horrifyingly evocative.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index