Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
When does a sick joke become a holy relic?

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
a23
a23
1004 posts

Re: When does a sick joke become a holy relic?
Dec 21, 2009, 15:28
I had a different experience visiting Auschwitz.

Have to say I found Auschwitz itself much more like a museum than something which connected powerfully with the past - full of tourists, displays in glass partitions, a "gift shop" doing a roaring trade - really didn't have the emotional impact i was expecting. In some ways I thought it sanitised the whole experience, repackaged as a grim theme park - but i appreciate others may have felt differently.

However, going along the road to Birkenau was the opposite experience - firstly the vastness of the site which left me stunned, and wandering through the huts - which are just left derelict - was much easier to imagine what had gone on in there - brought chapters of Primo Levi's "If this is a man" most chillingly to life. I found this experience much more emotionally traumatic.

I went in May, it was baking hot and the trees were in full leaf - a verdant peaceful place. The most disquieting and disconcerting moment was up by the destroyed ovens, in the ash pools, a multitude of frogs were merrily singing away.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index