Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: Whalers Beware !
Nov 15, 2009, 16:31
handofdave wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
The Japanese and the Chinese are a cruel race.

WHOAH!

Do you feel it's safe to say that because we don't have anybody fitting that description here?

They may have a broader idea of what constitutes acceptable animal protein sources, and it might shock our culture that many Asian peoples eat animals that we consider cute (dogs and cats), or intelligent (whales), but let's be careful not to stereotype 1.5 billion people.

After all, we in the west continue to butcher millions of feeling creatures for food.

Fair point, but we don't think that Tiger penis will cure us of Lumbago to impress ouy Party friends (let's not forget, it's only the wealthy elite that can afford tosupport this disgusting shameful racket).
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Nov 15, 2009, 16:40
I can tell you for a fact Dave....the Yellow sea is an ecological dead zone.
Completely swept clean of nearly every living thing.
Cows and Chickens and pigs are fairly sustainable resources...Whales are not.
I tend to agree about the Asian mindset regarding what constitutes cruelty to animals. China in particular....if it's remotely organic....it's fare game for the stewpot.
What i saw over that aways in my travels was truly heartbraeking.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 15, 2009, 16:45
Nov 15, 2009, 16:44
dodge one wrote:
I can tell you for a fact Dave....the Yellow sea is an ecological dead zone.
Completely swept clean of nearly every living thing.
Cows and Chickens and pigs are fairly sustainable resources...Whales are not.
I tend to agree about the Asian mindset regarding what constitutes cruelty to animals. China in particular....if it's remotely organic....it's fare game for the stewpot.
What i saw over that aways in my travels was truly heartbraeking.

What can more can one say Dodge. Fair Play and so true.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 15, 2009, 16:57
The Sea Cat wrote:
Fair point, but we don't think that Tiger penis will cure us of Lumbago to impress ouy Party friends (let's not forget, it's only the wealthy elite that can afford tosupport this disgusting shameful racket).

I'm not speaking of the elite. Our own 'elite' sends human beings to get minced up in foreign wars in the name of corporate profits.

The very rich don't live in the same world we do... regardless of what ethnicity they hail from.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Nov 15, 2009, 17:02
Your on a bit of a tangent Dave. Not that i don't do it myself sometimes...
But regarding Whales and Dolphins....it's ASIA that's gonna see them off.
I'm not thrilled about the Norweigens either. My understanding is that alot of there 'CULL' is sold to the Japanese!
Of course in the end, it's still a condemnation of the ENTIRE human race.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 15, 2009, 17:13
I'm always workin' on my tangent, Dodge...
;-)

Seriously, I do agree that the Japanese fishing fleets, in particular, are woefully blind to the devastation they do, and I sincerely hope that they wake up to the fact that someday they are not just going to put themselves out of business, but also bear the shame of having wiped out entire species in the name of 'culture'.

The arrogance of calling their hunts 'scientific research' never ceases to disgust me. Talk about baldfaced bullshitting!
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Nov 15, 2009, 17:17
Nov 15, 2009, 17:13
handofdave wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:

I'm not speaking of the elite. Our own 'elite' sends human beings to get minced up in foreign wars in the name of corporate profits.

The very rich don't live in the same world we do... regardless of what ethnicity they hail from.

I understand what you are saying, but that is a fundamentally different premise and viewpoint.One is disregarded human lives wasted needlessly to sustain the global system. Some of the participants have a choice, others do not. Those with a choice are often unaware of the facts or are rail roaded anyway. It's diabolical state self interset and preservation. Slaughtering a conscious preganant whale upon a boat whilst you remove it's unborn calf, for example, to satisfy your national 'tastes' is another concept altogether and cannot be catagorised under anything other than utterly horrendous on every level.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 15, 2009, 17:39
I'm not arguing that whale hunts shouldn't end. It's the mechanized scale of those hunts, in particular, that is troubling. I don't think any of us would argue that hunter-gatherers in the arctic circle are 'cruel' for their whaling... they live in an environment where there most of the year there's nothing BUT meat to be found.

It's just that my alarms go off when I read statements declaring that entire races are 'cruel'.

It's one thing to say that subsets of a culture are cruel... it's another to say that 1.5 billion people are, by virtue of the ethnicity that they were born into, are "cruel".

I think it's important to remember that the vast majority of the Chinese population eat FAR less animal protein than we do in the west, for example.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Nov 15, 2009, 17:54
You NEED to visit China or Korea Dave.
When i last worked in S. Korea, i asked my translator, "What kind of wildlife have you all got around here?" I had to ask the question a couple of diffrent ways before he understood what i was getting at.
Then he looked at me completely straightfaced and said..."We don't have any wild animals."

I saw PLENTY of Dogs in hutches though.

I only saw a couple of squirrells at a Buddist monastary the whole time i was there. And they were running scared.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Nov 15, 2009, 18:01
handofdave wrote:
I'm not arguing that whale hunts shouldn't end. It's the mechanized scale of those hunts, in particular, that is troubling. I don't think any of us would argue that hunter-gatherers in the arctic circle are 'cruel' for their whaling... they live in an environment where there most of the year there's nothing BUT meat to be found.

It's just that my alarms go off when I read statements declaring that entire races are 'cruel'.

It's one thing to say that subsets of a culture are cruel... it's another to say that 1.5 billion people are, by virtue of the ethnicity that they were born into, are "cruel".

I think it's important to remember that the vast majority of the Chinese population eat FAR less animal protein than we do in the west, for example.

It's not the scale. It's the fundamental principle. I can't see a moral corallary between the two concepts, awful as they both are.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index