Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: It's really gonna kick off (well....maybe)
Oct 23, 2009, 15:08
grufty jim wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:
And the 'party' is broke apparently, in the fiscal sense.

So are most political parties though. Labour is carrying significant debt, for instance.

The BNP is clearly incompetently run, and I'm hoping that they fall apart completely. But the more publicity and legitimacy they receive, the less likely that is to happen.

Incidentally, what did you make of that group of generals speaking out against Griffin and the BNP for appropriating British military imagery and history for their own promotional use? Personally, I thought that was quite a kick in the nuts for Griffin and all these BNP goon that reference things like Waterloo and Trafalgar as the epitome of 'Great Britishness'.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 15:13
Moon Cat wrote:
what did you make of that group of generals speaking out against Griffin and the BNP for appropriating British military imagery

The come over here, fighting our wars...
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 15:21
Tch. They really are a bunch of toolbags aren't they?
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 15:23
Moon Cat wrote:
Incidentally, what did you make of that group of generals speaking out against Griffin and the BNP for appropriating British military imagery and history for their own promotional use? Personally, I thought that was quite a kick in the nuts for Griffin and all these BNP goon that reference things like Waterloo and Trafalgar as the epitome of 'Great Britishness'.

My views on that probably wouldn't go down well with everyone (there's a surprise). Let's just say I don't see quite as large a gulf between the armed forces and where the BNP is coming from than the generals might. Despite the obvious contradictions (men from India fighting in the trenches, Polish spitfire pilots, etc.) the same kind of nationalist psychology that finds solace in the BNP is also given voice by militarism.

But that's a whole 'nother discussion.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Oct 23, 2009, 15:28
Which is to say...
Oct 23, 2009, 15:28
... I don't see the BNP's use of British military imagery to be as inappropriate as many others do.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 15:30
grufty jim wrote:
Moon Cat wrote:

My views on that probably wouldn't go down well with everyone (there's a surprise). Let's just say I don't see quite as large a gulf between the armed forces and where the BNP is coming from than the generals might. Despite the obvious contradictions (men from India fighting in the trenches, Polish spitfire pilots, etc.) the same kind of nationalist psychology that finds solace in the BNP is also given voice by militarism.

But that's a whole 'nother discussion.

Indeed and I take your point But, surely can it not at least represent a slight glass-half full moment? A small victory of sorts? The generals actions do, after all, serve to further discredit Griffin and his mob and it's coming from a source that you rather expect the BNP would really like onside.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Oct 23, 2009, 15:36
Re: Which is to say...
Oct 23, 2009, 15:32
It might not seem inappropriate on the face of it, but they have angered some folk in doing so, which is good, and they are getting stick for it, which is also good.

And using the Somme as a source of 'inspiration' (which was on their leaflet) is not only fairly despicable in my view, but also really fucking stupid. It was hardly a high-point in British history was it?

It's a bit like the BNP using the Titanic as a metaphor for greatness.
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 15:35
Yebbut with the military trying to win the hearts and minds of Afghans, Iraqis, Iranians et al, you wouldn't be surprised to find that the Generals were politically "nudged" to comment, so to speak...
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 15:39
I'm just glad they did, even if there is some duplicity.
Another fan base he thought he had not really there anymore.
Even more confusing for the Bull Mastiff classes;-)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Oct 23, 2009, 15:40
Maybe they were. In this instance I'm glad they got the message out there for people to digest and for Nick Griffin to be annoyed at. Not sure it matters if they were 'nudged' or otherwise.

And I think we are in danger of tarring all sorts of military types, both in service and retired with a flag-waving brush that not all of them may deserve.

Don't forget, a lot of military folk saw active service fighting against forces of fascism and they are right to be angered when the BNP hi-jacks their efforts to promote their cause.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index