Make chocolate a class B drug

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Make chocolate a class B drug
Aug 25, 2009, 01:52
Well, there was a loophole for a while. While I was still toking, I was able to buy "Spice Gold" - a legal high that actually got me stoned.

Not for much longer though. If I wanted to buy spice after this year, I'd have to go to a dealer instead.

Quite right too. But I think it doesn't go anything like far enough.

So I propose that we need to criminalise chocolate.

Why?

Well first of all, it's addictive. Rather like other drugs such as heroin and PCP, it's a complex material made of hundreds of different substances, including the powerful stimulant, caffeine.

Secondly, Overuse can lead to nausea. It can be lethal if taken in large doses, particularly if you have an underlying health condition such as diabetes. It's also been linked to obesity, and, like methodone, it has been linked to dental problems.

Thirdly, it's been strongly linked to cannabis. Many people consider cannabis to be a gateway to misuse of chocolate.

I must admit, I've had some chocolate tonight. Just a couple of chunks. Now I can't sleep.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Make chocolate a class B drug
Aug 25, 2009, 02:10
In all seriousness, why do our societies sanction alcohol use and not cannabis use? One is legal, the other scapegoated as a gateway to ruin.

The hypocrisy is plain to any ten year old who hasn't been brainwashed.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Aug 25, 2009, 06:47
I just realised we have to ban strenuous exercise too.

It releases endorphins - the body's natural opiates! And it's been linked to heart attacks and arthritis
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Aug 25, 2009, 10:46
PMM wrote:

It releases endorphins - the body's natural opiates! And it's been linked to heart attacks and arthritis

not only that, but exercise is a killer. How many more people must die jogging before we put a stop to it?

How long can we let these evil profiteers of death, the so-called 'travel agents', send people on ski-ing trips from which many never return?

Is the fun some say they get from ski-ing really worth all that suffering? some people might be able to ski responsibly but that doesn't mean it should be permitted any more than that fact that most of us would be responsible gun owners means we should have mandatory handguns. Ban these evil holidays!
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Aug 25, 2009, 10:55
Merrick wrote:
PMM wrote:

not only that, but exercise is a killer. How many more people must die jogging before we put a stop to it?

How long can we let these evil profiteers of death, the so-called 'travel agents', send people on ski-ing trips from which many never return?

Is the fun some say they get from ski-ing really worth all that suffering? some people might be able to ski responsibly but that doesn't mean it should be permitted any more than that fact that most of us would be responsible gun owners means we should have mandatory handguns. Ban these evil holidays!

I know someone who has severe mental health issues due to use of cannabis and legal highs. I'm fairly pleased this is happening, but expect to be ridiculed on this site for my views.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Aug 25, 2009, 11:21
pooley wrote:
I know someone who has severe mental health issues due to use of cannabis and legal highs. I'm fairly pleased this is happening, but expect to be ridiculed on this site for my views.

My ex-girlfriend's mother ended up demented from constant drinking.

I don't think your point is ridiculous... my late friend Peter had serious anxiety issues from being a pothead from the age of 13.

In all things, moderation.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Aug 25, 2009, 11:31
The point that's being made here is that yes, cannabis can make a tiny proportion of users suffer. This is no different to ski-ing holidays or peanuts. Some people *die* from peanuts, which doesn't happen for cannabis.

I have a friend who has to carry an adrenalin injection everywhere with her and cannot eat any pre-prepared food for fear of peanut contamination.

Yet who among peanut users really needs them? Is our enjoyment, that could be so easily got elsewhere, worth the suffering of those who are severely allergic? Could you stand in front of a peanut death and tell the parents that your enjoyment of peanuts is worth it?

More than this, there is also no evidence that criminalisation reduces use, or conversely that decriminalisation increases it. In the Netherlands, use went down for six years after decriminalisation, then only went up at a similar rate to prohibitionist countries. Their use is around half ours.

When the UK government downgraded cannabis, use went down. But, more interestingly, it was already going down beforehand. Classification makes no difference.

What criminalisation does do is keep production, supply (and profits) in the hands of some of the most unscrupulous people imaginable, it gives criminal records (and thereby all maner of life ruination: careers, adoption, you name it) to otherwise moral law-abiding people.

I'm sorry that your friend has suffered. Nobody has said these drugs are harmless. It is precisely because there are dangers that they should be controlled. The suffering of a tiny minority doesn't justify prohibition for cannabis any more than it does for peanuts.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Aug 25, 2009, 11:33
handofdave wrote:
pooley wrote:

My ex-girlfriend's mother ended up demented from constant drinking.

I don't think your point is ridiculous... my late friend Peter had serious anxiety issues from being a pothead from the age of 13.

In all things, moderation.

Agreed.

But drinking being bad for you is not an arguement for not banning these legal highs. It is more of an arguement for controls on drinking. ie - cheap supermarket booze/happy hours etc.
joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Aug 25, 2009, 11:38
arthritis you say? hmmm!
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Aug 25, 2009, 12:09
On a slightly more serious note, I was disturbed to see a team of rozzers with a sniffer dog waiting at the bottom of an escalator to the tube the other day, the dog sniffing everyone coming down the escalator.

So many fuzz being paid to stand around trying to catch the odd toking hippy (I was lucky not to be in a position to be sniffled myself) and then to subject them to the rigours of our penal system.

How about investing the money on catching some real criminals instead? Not only that, but as most of the people coming down the escalator were tourists, I imagine that many of them thought this was some kind of anti-terrorist excercise and were freaked out as a result.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index