Stop Thatcher having a state funeral

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Re: Stop Thatcher having a state funeral
Aug 21, 2009, 01:59
Also voted 16th in the 100 Greatest Britons poll of 2002 (in fact the first living person on the list)...so not everyone feels the same way as you.

I quite like the her quote: “If my critics saw me walking over the Thames they would say it was because I couldn't swim.”
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Aug 21, 2009, 12:22
Vybik Jon wrote:
geoffrey_prime wrote:
Maybe you've got time to waste...I haven't.

Does that mean you won't be coming back?

Please say it's so!

Go on - please!!

Yeah. That's the last thing we want,people with a different point of view.Curse them!
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2009, 13:27
Aug 21, 2009, 13:10
This shows more about the people who

a) can be bothered to vote in these polls

b) can be bothered to try to glean any credibility from them

On this basis, Alexandra Burke's version of "Hallelujah" would be the greatest ever vocal performance on TV and Elton John's "Candle In The Wind '97" would be the best single of all time.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Aug 21, 2009, 13:29
I have to state that I do not like Thatch, or her policies, or her party (then and now), her ideals, anything.

But
She was a hugely popular leader. She was a very succesful leader - only brought down by her own arrogance.

A lot of people are going to want to celebrate her life, and mourn her death - so let them.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Aug 21, 2009, 13:31
How do you measure popularity and success?

Course - there are several successful people who have their achievements through the various minions they have stepped on.

I seem to recall a certain chancellor of the early thirties was elected.
geoffrey_prime
geoffrey_prime
758 posts

Aug 21, 2009, 14:02
To you maybe, I believe that is an incredible generalisation. I'm with Pooley on his last comment - some people love her, some hate her, some don't care about her at all, some people will have never heard of her, etc etc.

Let's close and be positive - vive la différence!
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Aug 21, 2009, 14:54
elegant chaos wrote:
How do you measure popularity and success?

Course - there are several successful people who have their achievements through the various minions they have stepped on.

I seem to recall a certain chancellor of the early thirties was elected.

Popular because she won all them elections.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Aug 21, 2009, 16:03
I refer you to the last sentence of my previous post.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2009, 16:12
Aug 21, 2009, 16:11
elegant chaos wrote:
I refer you to the last sentence of my previous post.

Ok, that was a flip answer. And curse you for putting me in a position where I am defending Thatch!!!
But,
Without a doubt she was one of the most popular leaders this country has ever seen. A lot of people STILL call for her to return to politics, still get dewy eyed when talking about her time in parliament.Still think she was one of the best things that ever happened to this country.

She has influenced (wrongly, in my opinion) party leaders of all sides since her time ended. And just because a certain chancellor was elected in the 30's DOES NOT MEAN THAT EVERY ONE WHO HAS BEEN ELECTED SINCE HAS TO BE JUDGED BY WHAT THAT CHANCELLOR DID ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Aug 21, 2009, 16:35
I'm not judging her by what that chancellor did, I'm judging her by what she did.

All I'm saying is - the fact that that particular chancellor was elected, the fact that she was elected, and I'll add the fact that Blair was elected, means that they all share two things in common

1 - The obvious - they had the most votes - thereby the most "popular"

2 - Much of the electorate were undeniably conned
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index