Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: in a Stalinist country, take 'populism' with a one ton grain of salt
Jun 26, 2009, 11:23
PMM wrote:
So why not point out the contradictions, rather than posting offensive put downs?

I see and hear contradictions so much, wherever I am, on here or out and about-

I have pointed out the contraditions by way of posting the way I did-

I wouldn't say they were "offensive put downs" though
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 11:34
Other people see them as such.

Anyway, as far as those contradictions go, you appear to be saying that unless we somehow choose to live outside the system, we have no right to call for change.

Yet we have to live. There is no "outside" to go to really. So some hypocricy is inevitable.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 11:51
PMM wrote:
Other people see them as such.

Anyway, as far as those contradictions go, you appear to be saying that unless we somehow choose to live outside the system, we have no right to call for change.

Yet we have to live. There is no "outside" to go to really. So some hypocricy is inevitable.

Oh I see, so it appears that these "other people" just bitch via secret emails and on exclusive websites then, but shy away on HH- is that it?

Maybe my views don't 'fit in' ?

As I said, I'm just pointing out contradictions, in what I see, in a light-hearted manner, although it obviously touches raw nerves then, woooah- didn't realise people could be so sensitive over something and nothing.

I didn't realise 'The Rules' of the website.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 12:03
My original post has spawned an entirely different reaction than I originally intended.

It was really more about how terrified the North Koreans who participate in these bogus public rallies are. More than any other state in the world right now, their people live in constant terror of each other and their government, to the point where they are living a grinding, ruthless lie. Their paranoia of themselves is much more severe than their paranoia of the outside world.

Talk about the realization of Orwell's nightmare state.

And tho it should not serve to downplay the ongoing need to be vigilant and active against tyranny here, it's obvious that our freedoms of speech, assembly, and movement are light years beyond what is allowed there.

I think that history is fast approaching a cusp regarding North Korea. Their hysteria, combined with their nuke status, is extremely dangerous for the world, but mostly for themselves. God forbid they actually make good on their wilder threats... they would bring utter catastrophe onto their own heads.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 12:03
What on earth are you talking about? I never mentioned rules, or tried to tell you what to post. You're free to post whatever you like, but if someone calls you a patronising twat, it's not just because they like to swear.

"Other people" find what you're saying to be annoying and offensive. No they don't just use secret emails and other websites. They tell you to your face, as they've done here.

To which you respond by implying that they are being drama queens.

Well that's sure to pour oil on troubled waters.

Your views don't fit in?

Again, I'm not aware of any agenda here. There are many points of view expressed on u-know. If your point of view is different to that of a different poster here, defend it. And if you can't defend it, be prepeared to change it. It seems straightforward enough to me. Many people aren't prepared to change their beliefs, so they rant instead.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 12:15
PMM wrote:
What on earth are you talking about?...

"Other people" find what you're saying to be annoying and offensive. No they don't just use secret emails and other websites. They tell you to your face, as they've done here.

I wasn't making a reference to things that happened today- it's something you obviously don't know anything about, no problem.

As for the 'other website' reference, it's probably best that I let it rest until I meet said people in person and sort it out then.

I still say there seems to be a 'hidden code of conduct' as to how people post etc.,
BUT, after all, it's only a messageboard and not live TV!

Yup, I've been through it before, best stick to views on music then.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 12:35
Wow... this is getting heated. I don't disagree with what Jim said originally.. I think there is a naivety with some westerners regarding communist ideals vs. communist reality.

Exchanging capitalism for communism as a solution to it's primary illness- greed- is like treating that greed as a mental disorder instead of a moral failing.

Communism, as it's actually manifested thru history, not in theory, but in practice, keeps displaying the same unfortunate tendency towards suppression. Capitalist societies, for all their failings, tend to remain remarkably tolerant of intellectual and social freedoms.

Anyone from the west thinking that the grass is greener in a communist state is seeing what they want to see, not what actually exists. As for whatever jealousy, or even legit criticism of wealth that some would hold against the rich, I don't have much to add other than their personal lot is, I suspect, far better than their counterparts on the other side of most communist borders. Even in 'soft' communist states like Cuba, you cannot criticize the state without risking imprisonment. This sort of institutional denial by coercion allows corruption to breed no less so than in capitalist societies.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 13:01
You're quite right. If there's something going on elsewhere, it's news to me. If people are taking some baggage into this forum that helps to explain things I guess.

I don't agree that there is a hidden code of conduct. I've watched things flare up here before, and this mainly unmoderated board can sometimes have posters and their posts removed, but that generally seems to be due to outright nastiness, not because of any particular viewpoint.

Oh, and I'm not trying to stop you posting here. I hope you continue to do so.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 13:02
Well put.

I think Jim was implying that there is a tendency for many artists, musicians to over romanticise.

The whole idea of wearing a Stalin badge seems to me very naive and an act of capitalism in itself by the choice and freedom for being able to do such a thing.

8)
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 13:03
I know exactly what you mean, but that's not true of HH. I know I'm guilty of a degree of utopianism from time to time, but I don't see anyone here attempting to defend or recommend authoritarianism or totalitarianism.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index