G8 thugs

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

G8 thugs
Apr 01, 2009, 18:38
Really annoys me to see those wankers smashing the windows in london.
Now, no one is talking about the issues, just the violence.

For fucks sake, the march, the sheer amount of people, the passion of some there HAD made the point, and well - this fucking mob have done us no favours.
feel free to attack me for this, I may have some windows you may smash if you feel you need to make your point in that way
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Apr 02, 2009, 01:08
Re: G8 thugs
Apr 01, 2009, 18:43
pooley wrote:
Really annoys me to see those wankers smashing the windows in london.
Now, no one is talking about the issues, just the violence.

For fucks sake, the march, the sheer amount of people, the passion of some there HAD made the point, and well - this fucking mob have done us no favours.
feel free to attack me for this, I may have some windows you may smash if you feel you need to make your point in that way

Oh, so the rioting HAS started then. Most recent footage I've seen from my cosy basement in St Pancras has shown a few minor scuffles with police but nothing so dramatic as what you've described.

I'm heading down Old Street way later, not to smash windows but to watch a friend reading in a poetry bar (yeah, real radical of me I know). Better take the camera.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Apr 01, 2009, 21:34
Thousands of people descend on a city to express their passion. A small minority come for trouble and the police present are attacked with bricks and glass bottles. Twenty-seven people are arrested.

They were Swansea FC supporters having a day out in Cardiff last year.

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/26-arrested-violence-Swansea-v-Cardiff-football-matcharticle-453033-details/article.html

You probably won’t have read about it. The story certainly wasn’t top of every bulletin on every news network.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7977489.stm
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/demonstrations-turn-violent-1659268.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/g20-summit/5089870/G20-protests-Rioters-loot-RBS-as-demonstrations-turn-violent.html
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g97rsFx3dbUHPQSoLAaXQa97RGBwD979S04G0
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/01/g20-summit-protests
http://www.smh.com.au/world/g20-protesters-strike-at-londons-heart-20090402-9k0h.html

(etc)

Prime Minister Gordon Brown did not warn the offenders that ‘violence and intimidation will not be tolerated‘.

shamelessly pinched from here: http://www.chickyog.net/2009/04/01/heliocentric/
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Apr 01, 2009, 23:00
Yeah, the police do everything they can to stop legitimate protest, protecting the powerful as always and lay into few people for good measure, but ohmygod, some windows got smashed. Not a little shop window either, but RBS's. How will they pay for the damage?

The BBC is as impartial as ever - 'even injured the protester continues to harangue police' they said as a bleeding man was clearly trying reason with the police that had just crakced his head and make sense of what had happened to him. I'm no body languauge expert but it was obvious.

Noone wants to smash your windows becuase of your opinons Pooley, and it would be shameful if they did - but you're not a huge bank that is fucking all of us over while laughing in our faces are you?

x
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 10:54
I was down for the G20 protests, and although I didn't actually see the break-in from where I was, it did seem to me that police actions were deliberately aggravating the situation. Using 'bubbling' -cordoning off the demonstrations and not allowing anyone in or out of an area, and within that area people were dangerously crushed together and unable to move, which is sure to cause frustration and tempers to flare, is it not?

Under the circumstances it seems to me that an attempt to occupy the Bank of Scotland was a legitimate act of protest; very much in the spirit of Paris 68 which 40 years on was the subject of many fond media reminiscences.

It was also inevitable that the press were going to use any excuse to run their pre-written stories of 'violent anarchist mobs attack the city' etc. The only violence I saw was about a dozen coppers laying into a guy with truncheons swinging, in a circle around him while he was down on the ground- I don't know what he'd done, but it certainly seemed like unneccesarily and gratuitously aggressive. While a lot of individual police were good-humoured and respectful, some were obviously keyed up for violence. And behind the yellow-jacketed bobbies for the press pictures, the black-clad hardcore riot police were also out in force.

Yeah, scooting around town it was a very mixed atmosphere- from the very tense mood around Bank tube, to the old school CND rally at Trafalgar Square, to the very fluffy peaceful carnival atmosphere of the Climate Camp at Bishopgate. A bit disorganised, perhaps, but overall the protesters dun good.

Thanks for coming to the poetry night too, Popel- good to see you!
mole
210 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 12:30
A revolution (from the Latin revolutio, "a turn around") is a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time.

Complete change from one constitution to another or modification of an existing constitution.

Bloody revolutions have occurred through human history and vary widely in terms of methods, duration, and motivating ideology. Their results include major changes in culture, economy, and socio-political institutions.

Real revolutions only occur when you have nothing left to lose and are driven by the few. Revolutions also require direct action and direct involvement, words are sometimes not enough.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 12:39
There has always been an element of police infiltration into activities & marches. There was a thought when i was first in contact with protest/subversive elements that anybody starting on police to escalate riots/whatever was probably undercover police themselves.

You'd hope that was just paranoid but I think it was pretty widespread.
Do know that Conintelpro the late 60s US infiltration programme has been documented &would expect the UK to follow whatever lead the US had.

real shame cos it does undermine the message.

The Solidarity camp has been made wary of various people who they suspect of being undercover cops. People who turn up with some information but no outside contacts etc. thought being that anybody who did turn up in Northwest Mayo would presumably know people on the grassroots network in whatever town they supposedly came from.

In a crowd as large as the G8 protest there are bound to be a lot of people not known to any one individual who are probably thought to be known to others. Great way to infiltrate, cause trouble and get it blamed on those actually protesting.
Eduardo
Eduardo
375 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 12:49
Strong chance you're right. There seems to be a growing fear of public demonstrations, just like in the 1980s.

Pro-environment, anti-capitalists, anti-globalists, even anarchists have nothing to gain from petty vandalism & small acts of violence - their causes are all discredited in an instant for a few quid's worth of window glass.
mole
210 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 13:00
Men Of England, wherefore plough
For the Lords who laid you low?
Wherefore weave with toil and care
The rich robes your tyrants wear

Wherefore feed and clothe and save
From the cradle to the grave
Those ungrateful drones who
Drain your sweat - nay drink your blood

Have ye leisure, comfort, calm
Shelter, food, love's gentle balm?
Or what is ye buy so dear
With your pain and with your fear

The seed ye sow, another reaps
The wealth ye find, another keeps
The robes ye weave, another wears
The arms ye forge, another bears

Sow seed - but let not tyrant reap
Find wealth - let no impostor heap
Weave robes - let not the idle wear
Forge arms - in your defence to bear

With plough and spade and hoe and loom
Trace your grave and build your tomb
And weave your winding sheet till fair
England be your sepulchre
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Apr 02, 2009, 18:47
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
It was also inevitable that the press were going to use any excuse to run their pre-written stories of 'violent anarchist mobs attack the city' etc.

Yep, that's the key thing. i genuinely suspect they pre-write things. Why else would the front page of yesterday's Evening Standard have 'police were bombarded with bricks and bottles' (plausible sounding for a riot, but untrue) when the big report inside could only talk of 'fruit and paint bombs'?

Maybe next time we should print up spoofs of 'tomorrow's newspapers' cos we all know what they're going to say. The Daily Mail will always find a sneering mohawk with a beercan.

I'm curious about why people who target an empty Royal Bank of Scotland building - at the heart of the financial and climate crises - are thugs to Pooley, but no mention of the cops who waded into people and broke heads for no reason. As usual.

At the climate camp thing on Bishopsgate they tried to spark it off about 7pm and, just like their incursions to the climate camps at Heathrow and Kingsnorth, they failed. As at those other times, people stood their ground but held their hands in the air to show they were unarmed and chanted 'this is not a riot'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJRi7YR1bU
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index