U-Know! Forum »
grin

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: grin
Mar 06, 2009, 17:41
Yeah, better than Jeremey Kyle any day;-)
However, just heard the woman speak on PM and she told reporters 'the only green thing about Mandleson is the slime coursing through his veins'.
True, but then what?
We do sort of know that already.

If all she wants to achieve is be better entertainment than watching daytime tv then yeah, she's done it.

But when I read this

**Leila Deen’s commitment to the environment meant that for her mother’s recent 60th birthday the family spent three days travelling to Morocco by train as she would not allow them to fly.**

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5858873.ece

the words beggars + belief didn't even begin touch it.

x
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Mar 06, 2009, 17:49
What beggared your belief?
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Mar 06, 2009, 17:55
Oddly enough, I once got chatted up by a bloke called Mark Meredith. He was big in the labour party youth section and probably a member/sympathiser of the militant tendency.

Also an openly gay activist, who tried to buy me a drink, which I politely declined.

He's now the mayor of Stoke, and in a bit of bother.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/7927887.stm
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2009, 18:08
Mar 06, 2009, 18:07
shanshee_allures wrote:
**Leila Deen’s commitment to the environment meant that for her mother’s recent 60th birthday the family spent three days travelling to Morocco by train as she would not allow them to fly.**

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5858873.ece

the words beggars + belief didn't even begin touch it.

x

I'm with Vybik here, I'm not sure why that beggars belief. If you believe that flying is unsustainable and massively destructive, then why not choose to use the train instead?

Personally, I suspect a three day trans-European train journey followed by a cruise across the Med would be a great way to celebrate my birthday. Perhaps, in their rush to portray Ms. Dean as authoritarian ("would not allow them to fly") the media failed to realise that she and her family are capable of enjoying a more sedate and scenic trip than the usual 3-day city break from EasyJet?
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Mar 06, 2009, 23:28
Mar 06, 2009, 22:22
grufty jim wrote:

Perhaps, in their rush to portray Ms. Dean as authoritarian ("would not allow them to fly") the media failed to realise that she and her family are capable of enjoying a more sedate and scenic trip than the usual 3-day city break from EasyJet?

Her and her family are 'capable' because they are middle class and well off, making what you say somewhat of a rather unsavoury 'class distinction isssue'.

Easy jet is for the proles not the nice well to do middle class folks like she and hers. A three day train journey to Morrocco? How the hell much would that cost compared to cattle class at easy jet? They get their cake and eat it, while others can go choke to death on theirs.

If she had any honesty about herself she'd see how condescending that seems. Shouldn't she be setting 'some sort' of example? Take the bus to Bognor or something. I take it not.

For part of the charge made by enviromentalists to justify blockading airports is that 'we never used to have the luxury of foreign hoildays'.
In effect they are doing exactly the same thing as the Easy Jet passengers.
EDIT: With added impunity of course.
x
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Mar 07, 2009, 08:50
shanshee_allures wrote:
[quote="grufty jim"]

For part of the charge made by enviromentalists to justify blockading airports is that 'we never used to have the luxury of foreign hoildays'.
In effect they are doing exactly the same thing as the Easy Jet passengers.
EDIT: With added impunity of course.
x

Roll out the 'middle class protest' as the usual excuse for inactivity. There's always an excuse for doing nothing - the history of class politics is, perhaps, the most ridiculous of all.

I cam back here to catch up on julian gossip and made the mistake of straing into this forum; I can't beliebve the relative comfort of holiday makers is being used as a criteria of the legitimacy of a protest. The proles aren't on fucking foreign holidays mate, they're starving, they're watching family members being abducted by police, they're watching foreign troops invade their country. Yeah, there's plenty in this country who can't afford foreign holidays but even then most of us can still aford broadband access and enough bad food to stuff ourselves into obesity.

Good on the custard woman for doing *something* and not sitting on her ass on an internet forum bitching about who can protest and how.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Mar 07, 2009, 09:35
Mar 07, 2009, 09:07
fauny fergus wrote:

Good on the custard woman for doing *something* and not sitting on her ass on an internet forum bitching about who can protest and how.

You don't see a hypocrisy there?
Many of the generla public will. Unless it's not about getting people on side, which is puzzling.
Greenpeace are heroic, always have thought so.
But this lot...
And I'm not bitching. I'm saying what I think. I won't resort to any launguage like that back to you. If I've got you heckles up then don't take it out on me, please. Discussion is great though.
Your average 'working class' family (sorry, the expression prole was used as a term of comradery) WILL travel to Italy or Spain or even Morrocco (hell I work with them, they do exist! I see the holiday snaps!) but they'll use the 'EasyJet' optoin.
Ms Deen goes by train, it will be a far more pleasant and far, far more expensive journey option, so to say in its way it ain't about 'class' is rather disingenuous.
And I ain't classist. That's unfair. If I was I'd have to throw 3/4 of my music collection out;-)
I'm bringing something into the discussion that I think is relevant if we're to broaden the picturure somewhat
x
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Mar 07, 2009, 09:35
The only thing that will get the public "onside" is something that doesn't inconvenience them at all shanshee.

As far as hypocricy is concerned, well there's a damn fine article by Robin Fishwick about that right here on U-know.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/uknow/features/index.php?id=3
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Mar 07, 2009, 10:32
Mar 07, 2009, 10:27
I get what the guy's saying, yes. I'm guilty of minor, personal indiscretions, but that's all. Never do as I say not what I do though. Never that.

We all sort of hate Bono, and I think we're right to. Or maybe not. I do, so I'll stck with being an 'inverted hypocrite' if that's what it takes.

I've not read many articles with the words 'Harriet Harman' followd by the word 'the poor woman' though;-)

See I buy free range chicken because I can afford to. Partly due to squeamishness and partly because it tastes better.
I don't however pour scorn on the single mum who gets hers for £2 from the freezer at Farmfoods. I have no right to.

But some will and say that unequivocally no one should buy them ever. Which comes round to a 'class' thing again. Either it's okay for her to eat them because she's poor, or she should be made to find alternatives.

Don't like the sound of the last bit.

Saying it's okay to travel to Morrocco on a three day train journey but not on an economy class plane is in a way the same thing.
A dilemma easily solved by not travelling there in the first place.

Anyway I've exhausted this one I think.

x
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Mar 08, 2009, 15:12
Some guys have all the luck.

fnff fnff.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index