Carol Thatch

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: Carol Thatch
Feb 06, 2009, 18:31
..well observed.

Also, people must have seen this today but can't find anything on this forum about it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7873624.stm

"The BBC said it noted Clarkson's apology for the comments and would be taking no further action."
...so there must be a graph win the bbc boardroom which is used when these things happen to plot offensiveness on the x axis against presenter popularity/ ratings on the y axis. The more horizontal the line is, the more likely the sacking is instructed....but where do they draw the line?

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 06, 2009, 18:33
...oops - got the axis the wrong way round!

8)
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Feb 06, 2009, 22:38
When are people going to get fed up of having to feel 'offended' all the time?

Must be hard work, being so sensitive.
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Feb 06, 2009, 22:55
suave harv wrote:
When are people going to get fed up of having to feel 'offended' all the time?

Must be hard work, being so sensitive.

By the way, having black curly hair myself, I should tell you I've been called a gollywog too, luckily, I've got white skin, so I wasn't damaged in anyway by the racist taunts.

Phew! . . eh?
dee
1955 posts

Feb 06, 2009, 23:23
No, the Thatchers!
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Feb 07, 2009, 00:21
Sorry Harv, I don't understand. I'm white so if it's okay to call me a golliwog it's okay to call black people the same? I'm sure that can't be what you're saying but I'm lost.

As for Carole Thatcher - she really didn't know that it's an offensive term? And maybe she is being singled out because of her parents, but she wouldn't have a stupid media job if she wasn't their offspring so it all works out.

Dunno why she's sacked and Ross wasn't for his previously hliarious gag about his obscene wages while his BBC colleagues were being laid off though. Cunt. Or why Moyles blatant homophobia and misogyny is just fine.

Ah, I've had a drink. Sack 'em all. And me. And you.

x
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Feb 07, 2009, 00:31
mojojojo wrote:

Ah, I've had a drink. Sack 'em all. And me. And you.

x

Okay, I'll go quietly.

And frizzy and back-combed.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Feb 07, 2009, 11:18
Feb 07, 2009, 10:50
Well you see, Top Gear sort of advertises cars so is on bed with all sorts of big car makers in a way.

But the BBC don't do adverts (?) but Top Gear has millions of fans so Clarkson like Moyles can say WHATEVER-THE-HELL-HE-WANTS.

Infact, Clarkson sort of has hair like a Golliwog. One that's been dragged through a puddle of pee mind you.

For bad or good Public Enemy et al. reclaimed certain words and to a degree diminished them so maybe we have to try our best to do that. Or be forever militantly indignant and get nowhere.

Then along come the white middle classes speaking on behalf of an entire people and say 'oh it's ok for THEM to say that word'... What do they mean by THEM?

See how fecking knicker twisty it all gets?

Oh and Carol Thatch still works for the BBC in other capacities so WTF? but when is the whole corporations going to stop being so 'white' in other respects?

Offsetting some guilt, perhaps?

x

x
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Feb 07, 2009, 14:03
...yeah agree with you

I also think that there's a certain amount of bullying, making people feel 'accountable', spitefullness etc about the constantly pulling people up for anything that might appear slightly offensive. It does seem to be a very british middle class conservative zone - very New Labour, very polite.

I remember going to see Jo Brand live on several occasions in the clubs and she was incredibly offensive to people (mainly males) in the audience including the appearance of one of my mates. I didn't get offended by it as it takes a lot to offend me anyway, but can't stand the double standard. Ben Elton - he's another fucker.

8)
dee
1955 posts

Feb 07, 2009, 14:17
I used to think Ben Elton was ok, dont know much about him these days. The real issue for me here though is the fact that the word 'gollywog' includes the word 'wog' which is racist, offensive and inexcusable. And by the way, im born and bred northern working class, and still am, and dont see anything wrong with being PC if it means that you dont use offensive racist (or homophobic, sexist etc) terms. Seems to me that there has been a massive PC backlash which makes people think that it is ok to use offensive language whic, in my mind is total bollocks!
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index