Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: Carol Thatch
Feb 12, 2009, 15:59
stray wrote:
Gollywog. The point is, as I heard Jeremy Hardy say, we now know that when Carol Thatch sees black people she thinks, 'Oh gollywogs'. Glad to see though that you're almost seeing the point of challenging casual racism now. Shansee, and a few others have already made the age point here though. Never mind the poem, I'm surprised I haven't seen the 'baa baa green sheep' apocrypha yet.

No, we know that when she sees a certain tennis player she thinks Gollywog. nothing else
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Feb 12, 2009, 16:01
stray wrote:
pooley wrote:

As for not doing it to make yourself feel better, I don't believe you. I don't mean to be insulting, but I'm trying to be honest. I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

That is a personal attack. What does it contribute to the debate other than saying 'meh, your motives aren't pure'.

No, it wasn't a personal attack. it was me saying that i didn't believe a statement made, and that I might be wrong not to believe it
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Feb 12, 2009, 16:02
Squid Tempest wrote:
*sigh*

The point is that unless we speak out against racism, it will flourish. This is how my parents brought me up, and I still find it a good rule to live by. It is that simple. Let us drop all the personal stuff and get to the nitty gritty. As I see it, if you do not speak out against racism, you are tacitly agreeing with it. It is irrelevant what the age or sex or creed or colour of person being racist is. If you can't be straight with your own friends and relations, what hope is there?

Edit: and by the way, you said that my grandad was the exception, and made out that this made it pointless saying anything. My point was that even if there is only a small chance of changing someone's mind, it is still worth explaining what you think. So the stats are irrelevant.

As for the poem, it may have become a cliche, but those are still powerful words, and they do express quite clearly that saying/doing nothing is not an option when it comes to racism (or, I suppose more accurately in the case of the poem, facism).

I never said it was meaningless. I said as a statistic it was meaningless, but as a story it was great
stray
stray
2057 posts

Feb 12, 2009, 16:04
pooley wrote:

No, we know that when she sees a certain tennis player she thinks Gollywog. nothing else

Ah right, I get it now. You think that people who have that word in their everyday vocabulary only use it, or think it, when a certain unique individual appears afore them. We disagree. We also think to let it slide makes us culpable and racist.

pooley wrote:

Pedantry, or sophistry. I'm not sure, either way, its no rational contribution considering the word is a word of derisive categorisation.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Feb 12, 2009, 16:06
pooley wrote:

No, it wasn't a personal attack. it was me saying that i didn't believe a statement made, and that I might be wrong not to believe it

er 'Probably ?'

Sorry, thats it for me, I got over the Sophistry method of argument in my teen years. Yes it always works, it won't let you down, but it is, well, futile.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 12, 2009, 16:07
The stats are still irrelevant.

Perhaps Stray is right, we've run with this about as far as it will go. As he said, it would appear that I think it is correct to argue against any form of caual racism, and you don't. I think the age of the person is irrelevant, you don't. I think that is a fair summary, and we don't want to keep chasing our tails on this.

I hope at least this has made you think a bit more deeply. I'd like to assure you that I don't say these things just for my own satisfaction, I really mean it. I ain't that shallow guv, honest.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Feb 12, 2009, 16:10
stray wrote:
pooley wrote:

Ah right, I get it now. You think that people who have that word in their everyday vocabulary only use it, or think it, when a certain unique individual appears afore them. We disagree. We also think to let it slide makes us culpable and racist.

pooley wrote:

Pedantry, or sophistry. I'm not sure, either way, its no rational contribution considering the word is a word of derisive categorisation.

Yawn.
It is a rational contribution, i think. The point of this whole conversation is - is use of the word Golliwog always racist? does intent, malicious intent or otherwise, come into it. When it is said that someone looks like a golliwog - can you ever only be talking about the doll, or are you always talking about blacks?
I happen to think that thatch was talking about the doll. Again, i may be wrong. I don't think she said it waith racist intent. I may be wrong. I am the last person to defend a thatch, but I have to go with what i think.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Feb 12, 2009, 16:12
Squid Tempest wrote:
The stats are still irrelevant.

Perhaps Stray is right, we've run with this about as far as it will go. As he said, it would appear that I think it is correct to argue against any form of caual racism, and you don't. I think the age of the person is irrelevant, you don't. I think that is a fair summary, and we don't want to keep chasing our tails on this.

I hope at least this has made you think a bit more deeply. I'd like to assure you that I don't say these things just for my own satisfaction, I really mean it. I ain't that shallow guv, honest.

fair enough squid.
Look, I honestly don't think i was attacking you - if it came across as that, it was not my intent.
I'll stop chasing my tail, and yours.
See you in the next thread
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Feb 12, 2009, 16:20
pooley wrote:
fair enough squid.
Look, I honestly don't think i was attacking you - if it came across as that, it was not my intent.

I'll drink to that. *clink*
Squid
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Feb 12, 2009, 17:05
Squid Tempest wrote:
pooley wrote:
fair enough squid.

I'll drink to that. *clink*
Squid

Clink indeed.
JD for me
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index