U-know revisionism

13 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: U-know revisionism
Dec 29, 2008, 18:04
Tinky10675's post all seem to still be there to me.

I know s/he came back numerous times and was promptly kicked off again, and on one occasion the post was deleted, but that particular user name appeared only to have posted once (a one-line profanity), so it didn't make much odds to delete that and the response that told Tinky to fuck off.

I think banning is something to be avoided as far as possible. We get frequent chestbeating here and it's unsurprising. Nobody comes on to a political board without a dose of strong opinions and a desire to puff up their chest and pontificate. I know I do.

However, most people respond well to an appeal to their better nature. For example, distinguishing between disagreement and a personal attack, or pointing out that someone's clearly bright enough to make their point in a better way and would be more likely to win people over is often enough.

It's very rare we get anyone who is a troll proper, and in my 8 or 9 years here I can only remember three people getting banned. Peculiar folk that they are, two of them repeatedly re-registered with different names and IP addresses, but there are other ways of spotting people and they were turfed off again.

Deleting their previous posts isn't something I approve of (although the catching a new user-name and kicking their one post off I do), but maybe in this instance there's some legal reason or summat.

U-Know! Forum Index