U-know revisionism

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

U-know revisionism
Dec 25, 2008, 00:28
Been searching for a particular thread, and noticed that one of the contributers texts were entirely absent.

Not that this particular poster had much to offer beyond stirring things up with a shitty stick, but it seems a tad heavy handed to me. It removes the context from the posts of others, and it's not just the obnoxious threads by this individual that have been expunged. It's all of their comments, presumably some of which would have been saying something useful.

Just my 2p's worth. Merry Christmas.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: U-know revisionism
Dec 25, 2008, 00:41
Could be all sorts of reasons for that I guess. Don't forget, as public as this place is, we are in many ways in someone's house in that they are paying for it and its maintenance. Whilst that shouldn't discourage any level of opinion or debate - and I think that its a pretty safe bet that we get some of the most informed and impassioned debates around on here - I understand the managements right to put the boot-print on the arse if they feel they have to. And, if the person is as indulgently contentious as you describe, then I'm sure they won't find much difficulty in getting their jollies elsewhere.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Dec 25, 2008, 16:06
Dec 25, 2008, 15:56
It's really a private forum with rules, rather than a free-for-all, and that's a good thing, too... without some kind of moderator involved message boards can quickly become overrun with trolls (and if I'm correct in guessing who PMM is talking about, they definitely qualify as one).

I think impassioned, even heated, debating is a good thing, provided the motive isn't merely to create divisive, catty vibes. If someone persistently is guilty of lobbing insults and throwing down the glove out of a need to get into fights, they really are forfeiting their H2H privileges.

Why should anyone tolerate that sort of thing? Part of me is with PMM in the sense that perhaps, buried under all the baiting and epithets, there's something of value to be gleaned. But in the case of who I'm guessing he's referring to, I am firmly convinced that there was nothing but an emotionally disturbed and extremely self-centered point of view being expressed... quickly followed by immature attacks on anyone with a less than fully embracing response.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Dec 25, 2008, 22:49
handofdave wrote:
But in the case of who I'm guessing he's referring to, I am firmly convinced that there was nothing but an emotionally disturbed and extremely self-centered point of view being expressed... quickly followed by immature attacks on anyone with a less than fully embracing response.

We've had a few folk like that come and go over the years .... especially on U-Know.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Dec 28, 2008, 17:46
come on, dont be coy. this relative new comer wants to know of whom you speak!!!!!!!!!!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 28, 2008, 17:52
Probably (s)Tinky... I'm embarrassed about the past flame war I've had with one troll 4 years ago that wasn't removed...
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Dec 28, 2008, 18:36
Lawrence wrote:
Probably (s)Tinky... I'm embarrassed about the past flame war I've had with one troll 4 years ago that wasn't removed...

Go on Lawrence, do tell. It's a slow night and I'm a touch bored.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Dec 28, 2008, 19:07
Just been looking through some old threads of yours, Lawrence, and saw a load with missing posts. they may be the ones you're on about - but I couldn't see and mention of (s) tinky.

As I said, a slow night!!!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Dec 28, 2008, 19:44
You really want to know? Someone called Quexalcote (OK I said it, so what?) Just search and see for yourself what a condescending rat he was...

I know that since he doesn't post here anymore I shouldn't talk about him. I will agree part of it was my fault too -- I was grappling with some bi-polar tendencies back then, so I might have been asking for trouble. But arrgh! What a bad memory all around...
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Dec 28, 2008, 22:01
pooley wrote:
come on, dont be coy. this relative new comer wants to know of whom you speak!!!!!!!!!!

Well apart from Tinky, there was lemon/maneo and yerarseinparsley... and there was some guy who started a flame war about 9/11 and this site's alleged refusal to believe that there was bigotry and intolerance in the east as well as the west. I mistakenly rose to his bait and we got into a verbal ruck, but it had such an impact on me that I can't even remember his username now!

They all seem to disappear after a few months at the most though - in classic troll style - but I'm shy of tempting fate by talking about them in case any of the are still lurking and see this discussion as a cue to make a reappearance.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index