McCain isn't just getting a VP...

52 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2008, 10:45
Re: A stinging, ferocious blast at racist double standards in the US
Sep 25, 2008, 10:33
Yes I've read it. Got it as an Xmas present the year it came out (huh, and I asked for hair straighteners;-))

Anyway, I like Moore. He pissed alot of people off, for his public slovenly approach of nothing else. But he has went off the radar a bit. Well I believe he recently assaulted an attack upon the American healthcare system. Certainly very quiet now though on lots of issues that bugged him before.

My point is (and I don't fancy going into a protracted debate on what does or doesn't constitue racism) if there was a book written by an black man re Mugabe and all the other horribly corrupt African countries and and he called it 'Dumb black men' or even 'Viscious black regimes' (not so catchy) hardly any publisher would want to take it on.

Why?

Because ironically it'd cause a unrest amongst whites (more so) who feel strangely uncomfortable at the wording. Never mind any historical political 'who's to blame in the first place' arguments.

The thing you quoted re 'swimming in a sea of racism' may apply here.

The very fact the wording of the book title can be 'contextualised' here but not there has an intrinsic inverted 'racist' element to it IMO, albeit unintentionally on Moore's part (who I always seen as one of the good guys).

EDIT: and yes, some of it is light hearted, but much of it isn't. The chapters that deal with death row for one.
x
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index