U-Know! Forum »
Switch to renewable energy

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spirit
182 posts

Re: Switch to renewable energy
May 09, 2002, 12:54
OK I've filed the web addresses somewhere safe ... no doubt they'll turn up eventually.

In the meantime this may help

http://www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/climate/press_for_change/choose_green_energy/index.html

Also on there is this -
Have your say
Should your bill say where your electricity has come from?
Yes
100.00 %

No
0.00 %

29 votes have been cast

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friends of the Earth says:
Electricity generation is the biggest source of the greenhouse gases that cause climate change. Some ways of generating electricity - like wind power - don't produce greenhouse gases. Others which burn fossil fuels - like oil and gas - do.

We think electricity bills should carry information about where it has come from - like food tin labels.

The EU supports this idea - but the Government says there's no evidence you want this information.

In the meantime, you can get information about some tariffs from our green energy league table.

You might want to vote -

xx spirit
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

"Advertisement Feature" ;)
May 09, 2002, 13:52
I was doing some checking into this and found my company's brochure on wind turbines if anyone's interested:

http://www.abb.com/global/abbzh/abbzh251.nsf!OpenDatabase&db=/global/abbzh/abbzh289.nsf&v=2C58E&e=us&c=4F02990CDC0A4B66C1256A250045F7D3

One thing that I did notice in it was that for instance the wind farm in Rhodes produces 12MW. Compare this to the coal-fired Drax power station in Yorkshire which produces 4000MW and there's still some way to go. However, maybe we can reduce the time for renewable methods to catch up by economizing on the energy we use.

I'd better switch this computer off then!
AgentOrange
AgentOrange
221 posts

Re: "Advertisement Feature" ;)
May 14, 2002, 10:34
Yes energy conservation is still the most important part of reducing our CO2 output. Renewables will never be the only answer...
The Hood
2 posts

May 14, 2002, 21:24
npower offer a green (windy lekky) option called juice.

As with all these things .. little acorns etc.
AHAB
109 posts

May 15, 2002, 19:59
Juice is in association with greenpeace go to greenpeace.org.uk and get the link. Very easy to change only need to make one phone call, and its cheaper. It is only for domestic use and there is about enough fo 50 000 homes i think. If enough people join up there will be a new wind farm built off Hoyle enough for the whole country so get juicey!!
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index