Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
AgentOrange
AgentOrange
221 posts

Switch to renewable energy
May 07, 2002, 08:57
A slightly uninformed point here:

RSPB energy is still available for anyone in the UK who would like to buy their gas and electricity in a way that supports renewable energy production and conservation at no extra cost (that ive noticed). 0800 0288 552 is the number for more info.

There are possibly other companies offering electric from renewable sources, so please point them out to me.

Why the plug? Well it was pointed out to me that with new legislation that will force comapnies to buy a proportion of their energy from renewable sources, such schemes may not be available to the public for much longer because all the renewables will have been bought up. Therefore, if we buy it now, then the commercial sector will be forced to invest in new renewables schemes.

Does that make sense?
spirit
182 posts

Re: Switch to renewable energy
May 07, 2002, 10:10
Have got a couple of others but they are at home. I'll pass them on next time I'm in. However, my Dad was saying yesterday that there are going to be problems with all the wind/wave generators as the govt has changed the way the distributor/generator relationship works. Generators now have to say in advance how much electricity they are going to be supplying & when and will be penalised if they don't supply - clearly this is very difficult with for example wind generators when you can't say how much you're going to generate in the future as you don't know how strong the wind is going to be. Which sounded a bit of a death knell for sustainable generators - but it might not be true.

We also had a bit of a debate about the energy costs of building the windmills - his view is that they cost more to build than they ever generate I didn't think this was the case - any info gratefully rec'd.

xx spirit
AgentOrange
AgentOrange
221 posts

May 07, 2002, 11:21
Most of RSPB Energy's energy is generated using hydro power. There are env'l arguments against this, but its a start. They also talk about local projects. I love this idea, locally generating what we locally need. Groovy.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Local Resources
May 07, 2002, 11:33
It's sensible and fun!

I really do think that it is the way things will go, but maybe not for the better.

More affluent areas will get bigger turbines etc. and so still be 'richer'. Until the class system falls apart (like never I reckon) localised power and other resources won't work.

I think little pockets of people (yes communes) may be able to do it but as a generalised issue I don't think it will happen.

I really wish it could so that we could rip down all those electricity pylons!

But I have to ask .... is it better to decimate one large area to produce our power or to ruin many small pockets all over the place?
spirit
182 posts

May 07, 2002, 11:52
scuse my ignorance but don't all generator companies supply to the national grid (As was). And then distributor companies buy off national grid - even post privatisation.

My concern with the promise of buying from green supplier was that you didn't actually get the electricity generated by windmills/hydropower whatever but you got the equivalent amount generated by whoever. But at least the sustainable generators got your cash - less whatever the distributor takes.

If you are talking about truly local power supply then that would be good because you could (ever hopeful me) possibly influence how it was generated.

however, all my attempts at sim city always fail due to my refusal to use anything other than wind power for electricity generation. The little buggers all leave rather than live in enviromentally correct semi-darkness. My ex's nuclear powered future cities always fared far better.

xx spirit
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Which electricity do you get?
May 07, 2002, 12:08
Fair point, in that you get whichever electrons happen to fall out of the socket, maybe even from BNFL, but somebody somewhere will be getting the green electrons...

I suppose it's all about paying for the capacity to produce it rather than necessarily getting it.

One more thing on the subject of hydro power, setups like that one in Wales where they pump the water up the mountain at off-peak times and then generate electricity by letting it come down through the trubines at peak times are just a bit of financial jiggery pokery rather than any attempt at helping the environment as they are net consumers of electricity.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

May 07, 2002, 12:56
I think the essence of it is precisely that. You may get nuclear generated electrons but somebody somewhere is getting the green ones you pay for.

But that's ok for now. The money you pay enables more green stuff to be produced and so eventually you may see a larger share of your green electrons coming your way.

The main thing to do is support these projects now. If everyone hangs around waiting to gain from these resources then they will never happen.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

May 07, 2002, 13:00
While we're talking about this and talking of local energy in the same breath ....

Why not try to get a load of people from the same street (or parents from one school) together and all plump for one of these green options together. Make your street/school community a green energy zone!

I'm sure that such a move would be welcomed by the greener suppliers and it will serve to act as an awareness booster for those around you.

With a bit of good sales talk on the benefits of such a joint venture I'm sure a few groups could do it and perhaps spur something bigger and better off.

On a slightly different tack - Ireland is supposed to be a nuclear free zone but currently imports a lot of electricity from the UK & France ... hhhmmm.
spirit
182 posts

Road to hell
May 07, 2002, 13:03
... is paved with good intentions.

Hopefully will be moving out soon so will do it then.

xx spirit
spirit
182 posts

May 07, 2002, 13:06
maybe I'll start by asking who gets their electricity from a green supplier at the next FoE meeting - there's a group who should be ripe for conversion

from little acorns
xx spirit
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index