"Fathers 4 Justice"

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

"Fathers 4 Justice"
Jul 09, 2008, 10:02
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080709/tuk-fathers-group-returns-to-harman-s-ho-dba1618.html

I hate these cunts. Can't even beat the wife up without the bitch taking the kids away.

Why don't you fuck off and stand for election for a far right racist tosser party? Oh you already have.

Meanwhile in the world of old school tories.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7497097.stm

x
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re:
Jul 09, 2008, 10:33
"The protesters, dressed in superhero costumes, said they would not come down until the Government takes them seriously."

Ha!

I know what you mean.. I encounter these types from time to time. Even if they officially denounce domestic violence, there's a sort of nastiness to their rhetoric. They like to make it look like women are collectively trying to deny men a role in childrearing or something, which is preposterous. The sour grapes aspect of their rants is relentless.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2008, 11:11
Re:
Jul 09, 2008, 11:11
Well me other half has fought for years to see his other kid, she's digging in her heels etc (long story) but he can not stand these people (Fathers 4 Justice), and neither can I.
It's a very serious, painful issue and they're reducing it to dressing as batman etc so tbh, I doubt their ability as dads anyway).
Assholes.
x
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Re:
Jul 09, 2008, 11:35
Quite. I'm not saying that father's unjustifiably being denied access to their kids never happens - but I certainly don't think the government has a 'feminist' agenda. Funny how they only pull this sort of shit on female ministers, judges etc. Oh, and Tony Blair I suppose.

Strike me as a mysogynist right wing group of bullies.

x
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re:
Jul 09, 2008, 13:09
I don't get the point of their superhero costumes.

I also feel somewhat queasy at the use of 'feminist agenda', but then the word has various meanings doesn't it; there are several women I know who I'd regard as feminists but they deny it because they think the word has strong overtones of a belief in female supremacy.

Taken at that meaning - which, I emphasise, I have no idea if it's their intended one or not - they're absolutely correct about rights of fathers.

mojojojo wrote:
I'm not saying that father's unjustifiably being denied access to their kids never happens

It's not that it happens more than 'never', it's that it's the norm. Hearings for custody of children are hugely biased towards the desires of the mother and against the father.

Just because we live in a sexist society that denigrates women doesn't mean there isn't a serious point here - in fact, it is *because* we live in that sexist society that thinks women are always better at administering care and are naturally better parents that the courts have their bias towards mothers getting better custody and access rights.

mojojojo wrote:
group of bullies

As I understand it, their actions have involved a lot of roof-sitting, some chucking paint around and a bit of blockading. How does the word 'bullies' apply to them and not to, say, people outside arms fairs or blockading GM crop companies?

mojojojo wrote:
Funny how they only pull this sort of shit on female ministers, judges etc. Oh, and Tony Blair I suppose.

And the Lord Chancellor, and - their main focus - a whole load of gender-neutral government buildings.

There are clearly some criticisms to be levelled at Fathers 4 Justice, but only targeting females is well wide of the mark. That's just inaccurate though, whereas the allegation that they want to be able to beat up their ex-wives is outright offensive.
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Re:
Jul 09, 2008, 13:58
Faior enough Merrick, that was a stupid thing to say. I take that back and I'm sorry.

But is it really the 'default' mode of courts to deny fathers access to their children for no reason? I find that hard to believe.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2006/may/08/childrensservices.g2
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re:
Jul 09, 2008, 15:12
I think we need to clarify our terms here. I've no idea about courts denying *any* access and how often that goes on. The piece by Decca Aitkenhead you link to says (and let's just presume that Decca Aitkenhead had managed, for once, to get the fatcs straight) it's 1% of cases.

What I'm talking about is agreeing on the amount of access and, especially, who gets custody. I'm going on anecdotal evidence, but coming from numerous parents of both sexes, and they all report that there's a presumption for the mother. They say that their solicitors all expect it to be that way, which is perhaps indicative of a wider survey.

The only time I've known it tilt the other way was a man whose ex-wife's new bloke had twice been reported to the police for violence towards her children.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2008, 15:38
Re:
Jul 09, 2008, 15:37
In our case, my partner went to court numerous times, the judge agreed that it was a good idea the two got to know one another again, there were no problems there at all, but the mother didn't want it. Lawyers get bored figting that one too.

However, each time she flouted any judgements and agreements that were made, it would have to go to court again, taking another six or so months to be heard (courts busy with other things). Reasons like child's too ill etc can not be disproved (some times the excuses were alot more paltry than that), and my parnter's work could only take so much of him having to swap days off etc and back it went full circle again.

Purely personal experience this, but I bet it reflects alot of what goes on.

Now if there should be a legitimate, serious organisation set up to voice these concerns in a sober, proper way then I'm for it.

Fathers "4" Justice however (meant to take them seriously with a name like that!?) disturb me. It's like some sick little game they're playing. Just come across as nasty bastards, as well as being plain idiotic.

x
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re:
Jul 09, 2008, 19:34
Think you're being a bit harsh on them. Can you imagine the absolute frustration of not being able to see your child because the primary carer (male or female) is taking out het own petty revenge on you? Can you imagine seeing someone else bringing up your child whilst you're completely out of their life?
It's no wonder these people come across as bitter and hating, they ARE bitter and hating abd with good reason.

I think the stunts they pull are mainly dumb, but if that is the only way they can publicise their fight to see their kids, good on em.

Fathers have just as much right to see their children (something a lot of otherwise sane mothers seem to forget). Both parents have equal rights to see therr children, unless they do something violent, abusive etc then they lose that right.

There is nothing harder than being a father denied access to his child (except being a mother denied access to her child) and the sooner parents stop using their fucking petty arguments as an excuse to keep a child from a parent, the better.

This whole issue fucks me off big style- did you notice?
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2008, 19:47
Re:
Jul 09, 2008, 19:45
You're saying stuff I know and feel and have basically said myself.
I've watched the heartache and frustration and anger of my parnter, but to boot we don't have family nearby and my daugher is being denied her only sibling who lives literally around the corner, but she doesn't even know about her and it doesn't look like she will soon.

However, I looked at their website and it doesn't even have any clear agenda .It offends me for the fact that their moronic antics diminishes the seriousness of what they purport to represent. Everything falls under the dumb blanket of mum v dad with them, they don't even begin to consider anything else that may be happening.

I do not trust them, and as I said my partner doesn't either. Is he supposed to just coz they claim to represent 'him'?

x
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index